Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.
St Mark the Evangelist Church in Krakow
Between 1257–1263 Prince Bolesław the Chaste and his consort Kinga founded St Mark...
The Malopolska Days of Cultural Heritage
The Malopolska Days of Cultural Heritage are one of the major
annual events that ...
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

KOŚCIÓŁ PW. ŚW. MARKA EWANGELISTY W KRAKOWIE: "St Mark The Evangelist Church in Krakow" (english version)

558 views

Published on

Opis zabytku w języku angielskim przygotowany w ramach XVII Małopolskich Dni Dziedzictwa Kulturowego (2015).

Published in: Education
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

KOŚCIÓŁ PW. ŚW. MARKA EWANGELISTY W KRAKOWIE: "St Mark The Evangelist Church in Krakow" (english version)

  1. 1. St Mark the Evangelist Church in Krakow Between 1257–1263 Prince Bolesław the Chaste and his consort Kinga founded St Mark the Evangelist church and a monastery for the Order of Canons RegularOrder of Canons RegularOrder of Canons RegularOrder of Canons Regular of St Maryof St Maryof St Maryof St Mary de Metro inde Metro inde Metro inde Metro in Rome of Penance of the Blessed MartyrsRome of Penance of the Blessed MartyrsRome of Penance of the Blessed MartyrsRome of Penance of the Blessed Martyrs (Latin: Ordo Canonicorum Regularium S. Mariae de Metro de Urbe de Paenitetia Beatorum Martyrum) in Krakow. In Poland, this order was called ‘Marks’ or ‘Corner Heads’ for short, due to the shape of their headwear (biretta), while in Bohemia, from which they came in the 13th century, they were referred to as ‘Cyriaks’. In Lithuania, where the knights were involved in Christianisation, they were called ‘White Augustans’ because the order drew on the rule of St Augustine of Hippo, one of the founding fathers and doctors of the Church, whose thought remained the most influential school of philosophical thinking within the Church for over 700 years. ‘Marks’ combined monastic life with pastoral activity. Their conspicuous symbol, to be seen as an emblem on their robes, was a scarlet heart with a cross. This sign can be discerned in many places in the church, including the shape of the pulpit situated by the rood screen. Soon after the Canons of Penance settled in Krakow, a longstanding dispute started between ‘Marks’ and St Mary’s parish over excessive involvement of the monks in parish matters. In 1330 the dispute was successfully settled but the Canons were forbidden to administer sacraments to St Mary’s parishioners. As a compromise on the part of St Mary’s parish, the prior of Krakow’s monastery of St Mark founded the Brotherhood of St Sophia on 3rd February 1410. The first religious association in Krakow to be established by a parish, it made a commitment to praying for one another in life and remembering the brethren in prayer after death. The Brotherhood continues to exist, and since the 16th century it has been holding masses with a congregation in the Brotherhood’s St Dorothy’s Chapel. In the second half of the 15th century piety generally revived, which could also be perceived among the Order. At that time it was joined by Michał Giedroyć (c. 1420–1485), a member of a Lithuanian ducal family, who acted as the sacristan. The monk died in the odour of sanctity, and he has been venerated ever since. In 1624 his relics were ceremonially elevated and placed in a Renaissance tomb next to the altar by Bishop Tomasz Oborski. Giedroyć particularly venerated the crucifix, now situated in the main altar, and the 15th century painting of Madonna with Child, the so-called ‘Giedroyć Madonna’. The church was ravaged by fires in 1494, 1528, 1544, 1589 and 1724. After the fire of 1589 the church and monastery were extensively renovated, which is why many interior furnishings date back to that time. Unfortunately, almost all documents and books which must have filled the once extensive monastic archives perished in the fires. At the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries the Order went into decline, and in 1870 the monastery was turned into a house for priests emeriti which is still there. Nowadays sisters from the congregation of the Sisters Servants of Mary Immaculate work in the church, which is also the seat of the Sisters of St Jadwiga of Poland Servants of Christ Present (the Sisters of St Jadwiga of Wawel for short). The church belongs to St Mary’s parish and is the rectoral church of the Pontifical University John Paul II.
  2. 2. The Malopolska Days of Cultural Heritage The Malopolska Days of Cultural Heritage are one of the major annual events that show and promote the cultural diversity of Malopolska. For two weekends in May, every year, it is possible to visit, free of charge, over ten selected sites, using materials prepared especially for that purpose, and to learn about the region’s past and its traditions by participating in the many accompanying events. The sites selected for the purpose include little known places or those that are normally out of bounds to the public, often in private hands. We make sure that the presentation of the selected sites is accompanied with professional, attractive and original commentary, which not only describe but also reveal Malopolska’s history. We choose the most interesting topics connected with the presented sites and construct the programme of the event for them. dnidziedzictwa.pl

×