Microsoft Kinect for
Prepared By: Patel Mihir B.
Microsoft Kinect for HCI_________
How it Works
Hardware and software
Kinect (codenamed in development as Project Natal)
• motion sensing input devices by Microsoft for Xbox 360 and Xbox
One video game consoles and Windows PCs.
• it enables users to control and interact with their console/computer
as Human is game controller, through a natural user interface using
gestures and spoken commands.
• The first-generation Kinect was first introduced in November 2010.
• Kinect builds on software technology developed by Microsoft Game
Studios and on range camera technology by Israeli developer Prime
• Kinect sensor is a horizontal bar connected to a small base with a
motorized pivot and is designed to be positioned lengthwise above or
below the video display.
• RGB camera
• depth sensor
• multi-array microphone running proprietary software
Full-body 3D motion capture
Full Skeleton Tracking
Voice Recognition Capabilities
RGB camera -That stores three-channel data in a 1280 x 960 resolution at 12
frames per second, or a 640 x 480 resolution at 30 frames per second. This makes
capturing a color image or video possible.
infrared (IR) emitter and an IR depth sensor -The emitter emits infrared light
beams and the depth sensor reads the IR beams reflected back to the sensor. The
reflected beams are converted into depth information measuring the distance
between an object and the sensor. This makes capturing a depth image possible.
Multi-array microphone -That contains four microphones for capturing sound.
Because there are four microphones, it is possible to record audio from a specific
direction, as well as find the location of the sound source and the direction of the
Hardware & Software___________
• Microsoft released Kinect software development kit for Windows 7 in
• This SDK was meant to allow developers to write Kinect apps in
C++/CLI, C#, or Visual Basic .NET by using Microsoft Visual Studio 2010.
• “LibFreenect” for Linux machines
• Google's released “Robotic Operating System (ROS)”
• “OpenNI” is used on all OS.
• Gaming Console and Gaming purpose
Ex. Xbox 360 and Xbox one.
• Robotic applications
Ex. MIT and UC Berkley researchers teamed up to create a
quadrocopter capable of autonomous flight.
• Interactive science experiments
Ex. team from the University of Konstanz in Germany paired the Kinect
to help the blind navigate on their own.
• Exercise and physical therapy
• Language/speech learning
Ex. Natural human-computer interaction with Kinect and Leap Motion
• Home Healthcare / Tele-Medicine
• Lots of variation in bodies, orientation, poses
• Lots of data to recognize of different poses,body,weight.
• Kinect for Windows sensor and the Kinect for Windows software
development kit (SDK) to develop and deploy innovative solutions for
retail, healthcare, education and every area where Human computer
interaction(HCI) is required.
• I. Tashev, "Recent Advances in Human-Machine Interfaces for
Gaming and Entertainment," Int'l J. Information Technology and
Security, vol. 3, no. 3, 2011, pp. 69–76.
• V. Tam and Ling-Shan “Integrating the Kinect Camera, Gesture
Recognition and Mobile Devices for Interactive Discussion” IEEE
• R A. El-Iaithy, J. Huang, M. Yeh“Study on the Use of Microsoft Kinect
for Robotics Applications” IEEE International Conference.
• Z. Zhang, “Microsoft Kinect sensor and its effect,” IEEE Multimedia