From Zero To WordPress
Build a site easy and securely
• WordPress Specialist at WP Security Lock
• Instructor at John A Logan College
• Lead Organizer of Southern Illinois
• Crazy woman behind Can’t Speak Geek
• Hostess of Safe WP Weekly Security
• Mother to the next gen WordPress user
Plus the places to buy a
domain are endless
• Go Daddy
• 1 and 1
• Media Temple
• Network Solutions
• And many more
Once you have your name
picked out and what you
want to do for your site, it
is now time to talk hosting
Hosting is like a hard drive
for you website. It is where
all the ﬁles live. It is
typically called a server.
There re diﬀerent types of
hosting and many diﬀerent
Types of Hosting
• Shared- (Typically the cheapest) You and many others
on the same server
• Cloud Hosting or VPS- Virtual Machines
• Dedicated Hosting- You are on your own server and
you do not have to share
• When going with any server, make sure it is a managed
server unless you know how to set up a server!
(There are many and some are here!)
• WP Engine
• Media Temple
• Liquid Web
• 1 and 1
• Blue Host
• Green Geeks
Your hosting company will give you an IP address
and nameservers for your domain. You will enter the
IP or the nameservers where you purchased your
There are 2 ways this can be done.
1. Use the IP
2. Use the Nameservers
Example taken from namecheap.com
So now you have purchased your
domain and your site hosting,
plus you have the domain
pointed in the right direction…
Time to build you a website!!!!
First you will need to make a database for
your website. You will got to the “MySQL
Once there follow the
directions on how to make the
database. Remember to write
down or copy/paste your
database name, database user
name, and the passwords. You
will need these later! Give the
user full admin roles. If not the
site will not work properly.
Once the WordPress ﬁles are downloaded to
your computer, you now need to go into your
ﬁle manager that lives in your server’s cPanel.
Once in the ﬁle manager, upload your
WordPress zip ﬁle to your server.
Your upload screen will look like this. Do not
navigate off this screen until the gray box in the
bottom right states the upload is complete.
Once uploaded you will extract
the zip ﬁle. Then click the
If your ﬁle manager now looks like this,
you may delete the zip ﬁle.
This step is the trickiest step of them all. We
must move all the ﬁles from the WordPress
folder into the .public_html folder
1. Highlight all of the folders
within the WordPress folder
2. Click the move ﬁle button
3. Delete out the “wordpress”
4. Click “move ﬁles”
5. Click the “Up One Level”
6. Delete the “wordpress” folder
since it is now empty
7. Click the reload button
The 5 Minute Install
1. Go to you site
2. Pick you language
3. Click “Let’s go”
The ﬁrst time you go
to your new website,
this is what you
Remember when I said to keep your
database information close?
will use it!
1. Leave localhost unless instructed by your hosting company to
2. Change your Table Preﬁx to anything but wp_ but make sure there
is a “_” at the end.
The important information.
Site name, login,
save your login
use a strong
Uncheck the “allow
search engines to index
this site until you have
your site built.