User Centred Design !
in Mobile App
Presented on 16th Jan 2014
NUS:ISS Seminar: Enabling Mobile Enterprise
Michael Ong @michaelon9
• 1999 - Freelance Web Design /
Development leading to web hosting for
• 2002 - Research & Development - A Robust
Rule-based Event Management System for
Call Data Records
- Société Générale
• 2003 - Network Engineer
- NEC Solutions
• 2004 - Full-Stack development
- Palm & Windows Mobile
- K.C. Dat, Nippon Express, Air Asia ,
Singapore Zoo, Jurong Birdpark, Changi
Airport Terminal 1 & 2, M1, Mapletree ...
• 2005-2007 - Business Process Consulting
- VISA International
- Robert Bosch SEA
• 2008 - Took a break in EVE Online
- Internet Spaceships is serious business
• 2009 - Portal Development
- ST701, SPH, Online Classiﬁeds
• 2010 - Scrum Master
- iProperty Singapore
• 2012 - Mobile & UX Lead
- iProperty Group
• 2013 - Senior Product Manager
- bellabox Australia & Singapore
setting up a Mobile Roadmap
• Understand your environment
• Talk to your stakeholders, your users
• Understand pain points
• Is there a way mobile services can improve current
• Look at your data (analytics) - what is being used in
your organisation / users
• Communicating the roadmap
Product Survey in Dec 2012"
51 Respondents on Mobile Site v1
53% of respondents used the mobile site every day
Reasons for not using Mobile"
• Search results often not found and takes longer time to
• Less information in listing detail on mobile site
• Photos are not presented well on mobile site
Top 5 Features on Mobile users wanted to see"
• User Login to access favorites (shortlists) and
property search across mobile and web
• Mortgage Calculator
• Compare Properties by budget and timeline
• Shortlist Properties
• Instant updates to homes and searches saved
Usability Test Scenario - 1"
You are planning to buy a property in Indonesia.
Your work location is in Jakarta and you intend to buy a House in
Jakarta Pusat area that would be convenient for you to commute to
ofﬁce and back home.
Your budget ranges from 500,000,000 - 1,000,000,000 IDR . You want
to check out on the right property that meets your needs and then
contact the Agent for further process
Usability Test Scenario - 2"
You have browsed through few properties when you were in a
restaurant for Lunch and even shortlisted a few.
You close the site and then reopen rumah123 in the night after you get
back home in the evening.
You wanted to continue your property search.
Usability Test Scenario - 3"
You browsed through few properties using the English version of the
You wanted to show some of the properties you likes with your spouse
or friend who prefers to view it in Bahasa.