Portugal Viana do Castelo4

725 views

Published on

YOU CAN WATCH THIS PRESENTATION IN MUSIC HERE:
http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/sandamichaela-1972183-viana-castelo4/
PLEASE SEE ALSO:
http://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/viana-do-castelo1
http://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/viana-do-castelo2
http://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/viana-do-castelo3
http://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/romaria-da-senhora-dagonia
http://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/santurio-de-santa-luzia-viana-do-castelo
http://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/salvador-vieira-contemporary-portuguese-artist
Thank you!

The district capital of Viana do Castelo, charmingly situated at the mouth of the Rio Lima below Monte de Santa Luzia, is an important harbor on this part of the Portuguese Atlantic coast, here called the Costa Verde. Although it has some industry textiles, timber, fish processing and shipbuilding its attractive townscape and good beaches also make it popular with tourists.
Originally a Greek trading post, and still a modest little port in the Middle Ages, Viana achieved prosperity and importance at the time of the great voyages of discovery in the reign of Manuel I, especially on account of the then very profitable cod fisheries off the coast of Newfoundland. In the 19th C., during the conflict between the Liberals and the monarchy, it sided with the Royalists and thus earned its charter from Queen Maria II and was henceforth known as Viana do Castelo, having previously been called Viana da Foz do Lima.

Published in: Travel, Spiritual

Portugal Viana do Castelo4

  1. 1. http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/sandamichaela-1972183-viana-castelo4/
  2. 2. Viana do Castelo is a municipality and seat in the Norte Region of Portugal. The urbanized area of the municipality, comprising the city, has a population of approximately 36,148 inhabitants, while the municipality includes 91238 residents. Monument to Caramuru e Paraguaçu by Mestre José Rodrigues
  3. 3. The Republic Square
  4. 4. The Republic Square Diogo Álvares Correia (1475? - 1557), called Caramuru by the Tupinambá, was a Portuguese settler born in Viana do Castelo. He departed for the Portuguese colony of Brazil in 1509, and his ship wrecked in the coast of Bahia, Diogo Álvares found himself among the Tupinambá Indians. The Tupinamba called him "Caramuru" ("Moray Eel" or "Creator of Fire") because of the fire of his
  5. 5. The Republic Square The monument was made by José Rodrigues in December of 2008, marking the anniversary of the 750th anniversary of the founding of the city. Later, Diogo Álvares founded a settlement called Vila Velha and married Paraguaçu (or Paraguassu), the daughter of Tupinamba's chief Morubixava Taparica. During the following twenty years, Diogo Álvares kept contact with European ships and used his influence on local Indians to help the Portuguese Crown and missionaries during the early years of Brazilian colonization.
  6. 6. The Republic Square In 1526, he traveled to France with his wife. Paraguaçu was baptized by Mary Catherine des Granches, wife of Jacques Cartier, under the name Catarina. A couple of years later, he returned to Bahia and aided Tomé de Sousa in founding Salvador and creating the first GeneralGovernment of the Brazilian colony, by the request of King João III of Portugal . He died in October 1557, was buried in the Church of Jesus, and left half of his wealth to the Jesuits. His wife, Catarina Paraguaçu died in 1582. His sons, Gaspar, Gabriel and Jorge were declared knights by Governor Tomé de Sousa.
  7. 7. Monument to Caramuru e Paraguaçu by Mestre José Rodrigues
  8. 8. The Praça da República, one of Portugal's most picturesque squares, with the broad basins of its Renaissance fountain dating from 1559 in the center.
  9. 9. Casa da Misiricórdia, the Misericord Hospice, a Flemish Renaissance style building begun in 1589
  10. 10. Casa da Misiricórdia
  11. 11. Casa da Misiricórdia
  12. 12. The Republic Square
  13. 13. Adjoining the Casa da Misiricórdia is the Igreja da Misericórdia, rebuilt in the 18th C., is on the north side of the square and has fine talha dourada and 17th C. ajulejos in the interior Santa Casa da Misiricórdia 16th C
  14. 14. The Igreja da Misericórdia, rebuilt in the 18th C., is on the north side of the square and has fine talha dourada and 17th C. ajulejos in the interior.
  15. 15. Igreja Misericordia Orgão de Tubos
  16. 16. Andalusian craftsmen brought vitality to Portugals azulejos when she was yoked to Spain 1580-1640, and it was during this period that Portugese developed their enthusiasm for ajulezos. One of the grand masters of the tile design, Antonio de Oliveira Bernardes (16841732) worked in Misericordia church in Viana do Castelo
  17. 17. The old town hall, the Antigos Paços do Concelho on the east side of the square, is an early 16th C. granite building, now used for exhibitions, where bread used to be sold in its arcades at street level.
  18. 18. Above the middle window, the royal coat of arms has been carved, together with the armillary sphere and a caravel, the symbol of Viana, which owed most of its prosperity to the sea
  19. 19. Chafariz Praça da República - Fountain Renaissance, by Portuense John Lopes, the Elder and Casa da Misiricórdia
  20. 20. The old town hall, the Antigos Paços do Concelho The fountain is made in granite plant in the center ring is just a column with elements that represent figures of animals. The works were completed in the year 1554. This representation is a work of transition between the Gothic and Renaissance
  21. 21. Praça da República,
  22. 22. Viana do Castelo camara Municipal, Passeio das Mordomas da Romaria
  23. 23. The district capital of Viana do Castelo, charmingly situated at the mouth of the Rio Lima below Monte de Santa Luzia, is an important harbor on this part of the Portuguese Atlantic coast, here called the Costa Verde. Although it has some industry textiles, timber, fish processing and shipbuilding its attractive townscape and good beaches also make it popular with tourists. Casa Carreira Actual building of the City of Viana do Castelo
  24. 24. The cathedral was built in the first half of the 15th C. and substantially altered in the 19th C. The two crenellated towers flanking the facade are Romanesque. The interior has fine polychrome wood carving, mainly 17th C.
  25. 25. The cathedral The Casa dos Velhos, north of the cathedral, is a 15th C. building with a distinct Galician look
  26. 26. The Casa dos Velhos
  27. 27. The Casa dos Velhos
  28. 28. Casa Melo Alvim
  29. 29. Teatro 1885 Sa de Miranda, A 19th century theatre is stage of all different performing arts: theatre, concerts, cinema.
  30. 30. Teatro Sa de Miranda, 1885 The painted ceiling and beautiful cabin structure is really beautiful, relativelly small, creates a cozyness and greater empathy stage /spectators.
  31. 31. Museu de Arte e Arqueologia (Largo de Sdomingos) is housed in the 18th C. mansion of the Barbarosa Macieis family
  32. 32. Igreja de Santo António, construída no século XVII
  33. 33. Igreja da Ordem Terceira de São Francisco
  34. 34. Igreja da Ordem Terceira de São Francisco
  35. 35. Firestation (Bombeiros Voluntários)
  36. 36. Escola do Magistério Primário Dr. Alfredo de Magalhães
  37. 37. Campo do Castelo e Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Agonia
  38. 38. Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Agonia
  39. 39. Brasao portao do Passamano Avenida do Conde da Carreira
  40. 40. Igreja de Santa Cruz do antigo convento de São Domingos
  41. 41. Igreja da Caridade Convento de Sant'Ana (séc. XVI-XX) the Convento de Santa Ana, now the Hospital da Caridade, a former Benedictine convent dating, with its Manueline tower, from the 16th C. Its church has rich talha dourada decoration.
  42. 42. Capela das Malheiras (Séc. XVIII)
  43. 43. Capela das Malheiras (Séc. XVIII)
  44. 44. The Monte de Santa Luzia (250m/820ft) is about 5km/3mi northeast of Viana do Castelo, topped by its 19th C. Neo Byzantine church of Santa Luzia, a place of pilgrimage. It can be reached by car and by a funicular which leaves from near the station. It is worth making the trip if only for the magnificent view. Situated on top of the mountain of Santa Luzia, a basilica was built at the beginning of the twentieth century, copy of the Sacre Couer in Montmartre, Paris
  45. 45. Palacete Werneck Originally a Greek trading post, and still a modest little port in the Middle Ages, Viana achieved prosperity and importance at the time of the great voyages of discovery in the reign of Manuel I, especially on account of the then very profitable cod fisheries off the coast of Newfoundland. In the 19th C., during the conflict between the Liberals and the monarchy, it sided with the Royalists and thus earned its charter from Queen Maria II and was henceforth known as Viana do Castelo, having previously been called Viana da Foz do Lima.
  46. 46. Text: Internet Pictures: Sanda Foişoreanu Gabriela Cristescu Internet Copyrights of the photos belong to each photographer Presentation: Sanda Foişoreanu www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda Sound: Amália Rodrigues - Meu amor, meu amor; Havemos de ir a Viana

×