Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Italia Napoli Walks in the city3

74 views

Published on

YOU CAN WATCH THIS PRESENTATION IN MUSIC HERE:
http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/sandamichaela-3520798-italia-napoli-walks-city3/
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THIS PRESENTATION HERE:
http://ma-planete.com/pps/websiteview/catid_45/id_481098/title_Italia-Napoli-Walks-in-the-city3/

PLEASE SEE ALSO:
https://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/italia-napoli-walks-in-the-city7
https://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/italia-napoli-walks-in-the-city6
https://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/italia-napoli-walks-in-the-city5
https://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/italia-napoli-walks-in-the-city4
https://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/italia-napoli-walks-in-the-city2
https://www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda/italia-napoli-walks-in-the-city1

Thank you!
Naples is the regional capital of Campania and the third-largest municipality in Italy after Rome and Milan. In 2017, around 967,069 people lived within the city's administrative limits while its province-level municipality has a population of 3,115,320 residents.
Piazza del Gesu has been for centuries the main western entrance to the city centre and took on its modern proportions only in the 16th century after several modifications. Nowadays the piazza is ornated by the Guglia dell’Immacolata (spire) dating back to the 18th century and is dominated by the impressive silhouettes of two outstanding monuments: the Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo and the Monastero of Santa Chiara.

Published in: Travel

Italia Napoli Walks in the city3

  1. 1. The Centro Storico (Historic Centre) is the original core of the ancient city and a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1995. The orthogonal grid of the Greek foundation of Neapolis is still discernible and continues to provide the basic form for the present day urban structure of the city centre. Spaccanapoli is the road artery of the district that divides Naples in two halves and one of the east-to-west streets from the original Greco-Roman city. The name is a popular usage and means, literally, "Naples splitter". Teemed with people, this cobblestone narrow street holds many interesting monuments, shops, and historical building and is mainly a pedestrian area. Today, the street officially starts at Piazza Gesù Nuovo and is officially named Via Benedetto Croce. Moving east, the street changes name to Via S. Biagio dei Librai and then crosses Via Duomo (named for the Cathedral of Naples) and moves beyond the confines of the old center of town.  It is the main promenade for tourists as it provides access to a number of important sights of the city Piazza Gesù Nuovo
  2. 2. Piazza del Gesù The square has been for centuries the main western entrance to the city centre and took on its modern proportions only in the 16th century after several modifications. Nowadays the piazza is ornated by the Guglia dell’Immacolata (spire) dating back to the 18th century and is dominated by the impressive silhouettes of two outstanding monuments: the Chiesa del Gesù Nuovo and the Monastero of Santa Chiara
  3. 3. The Guglia dell’Immacolata (spire) stands in the square in front of the church of Gesù Nuovo
  4. 4. The Guglia dell'Immacolata is the tallest and most ornamental of three such "plague columns" in Naples. On 8 December, the Feast of the Immacolata, a fireman scrambles up to the top to place a wreath on the Virgin’s statue
  5. 5. Putatively, the Guglia dell'Immacolata was built to invoke the Virgin Mary's protection from the plague. Begun in the 17th century, it was completed only in 1750 after decades of pauses in construction. Sculptors Francesco Pagani and Matteo Bottiglieri worked on the rich Baroque decoration, prototypic of Neapolitan Baroque. It contains bas-relief depictions of the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple, the Birth of the Virgin Mary and the Annunciation
  6. 6. Piazza del Gesu Nuovo, Naples- Liceo Antonio Genovesi
  7. 7. Piazza del Gesu Nuovo The Church of Gesù Nuovo was originally a palace built in 1470 for Roberto Sanseverino, Prince of Salerno. The Jesuits had already built a church with this name in Naples, now called Gesú Vecchio. Political intrigues by the Sanseverino family caused the property to be confiscated, and eventually sold in the 1580s to the Jesuits for 45,000 ducats to construct a church (1584–1601) under architect Giuseppe Valeriano. The construction was also helped by local support including that of Roberta Carafa, Countess of Maddaloni. The adjacent gardens of Isabella Feltria, Principessa di Bisignano were also included in the construction
  8. 8. The Church of Gesù Nuovo
  9. 9. Construction of the church began in 1584. The church flanks the northern side of beautiful Piazza del Gesù Nuovo, a favourite late- night hang-out for students and lefties. 
  10. 10. The square is a result of the expansion of the city to the west beginning in the early 16th century under the rule of Spanish viceroy Pedro Alvarez de Toledo
  11. 11. The new church retained the unusual facade, originally built for the palace, faced with rustic ashlar diamond projections
  12. 12. The marble door, from the original Palace, dates from the early fourteenth century. In 1685, the Jesuits made modifi- cations, with bas-reliefs, the frieze and the upper cornice, the addition of two lateral columns, etc
  13. 13. The rich interior is a blast of Baroque and is literally brimming with architectural and artistic treasures by famous artists such as Francesco Solimena, Luca  Giordano and  Cosimo Fanzago
  14. 14. The Church of Gesù Nuovo
  15. 15. The church was badly damaged during the Second World War due to air strikes. One of the bombs crossed the ceiling of the nave without exploding. It is now exposed in the church
  16. 16. The Nativity Chapel has an altarpiece by Girolamo Imparato
  17. 17. Chapel of Saint Francis Xavier
  18. 18. The church is the final resting place of much-loved local saint Giuseppe Moscati (1880–1927), a doctor who served the city's poor.  St. Joseph Moscati, a biochemistry teacher at the University of Naples and head physician of the Ospedale degli Incurabili, was canonized on 25 October 1987 by Pope John Paul II
  19. 19. Chapel of St Ignatius of Loyola
  20. 20. In 2010, the art historian Vincenzo de Pasquale and the Hungarian musicologists Dors Csar and Lorant Réz identified the engravings as Aramaic characters, notes of a musical score composed on the facade of the church, read from right to left and from bottom to top. It is a concerto for string instruments to which the researchers gave the title of Enigma
  21. 21. Piazza del Gesu Nuovo
  22. 22. Piazza del Gesu Nuovo
  23. 23. There are soldiers deployed around the city, guarding sensitive sites such as railway stations, the port, foreign consulates and court buildings, as part of a security initiative called “Safe Streets”
  24. 24. The Church of Santa Chiara is a Gothic style church-convent built between 1310 and 1328 for the wife of Robert, King of Naples. It has a belfry that stands within the grounds at the northeast corner. The complex retains the citadel-like walls setting it apart from the outside world. The walls contained a vast religious community, and today contain the more modest convent of the Poor Clares and a community of the Grey Friars. The complex was expanded along Baroque architecture lines in the 18th century.
  25. 25. Basilica of Santa Chiara, or the monastery of Santa Chiara
  26. 26. It was almost entirely destroyed by bombing in WW II and was restored to its original Gothic form in 1953
  27. 27. This wonderful monument has a famous Neapolitan song dedicated to it: Munasterio 'e Santa Chiara, which recalls the tragic bombardment of August 4th, 1943 that almost completely destroyed it
  28. 28. The bell tower, separated from the main edifice, was begun in 1328 but was completed only in Renaissance  times
  29. 29. The large rectangular building is 110.5 m long inside the walls, and 33 m wide. The walls of the nave are 47.5 m tall, and the nave itself is 82 m long. There are nine lateral chapels on each side of the nave
  30. 30. The noteworthy monastic courtyard at the rear of the church is the result of renovation carried out by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro in the 1730s, for Maria Amalia of Saxony, wife of Charles III of Bourbon, King of Naples
  31. 31. The famous cloister of the Clarisses, transformed in 1742 by Domenico Antonio Vaccaro with the unique addition of majolica tiles in Rococò style
  32. 32. The brash color floral decoration makes this cloister, with octagonal columns in pergola-like structure, likely unique and would seem to clash with the introspective world of cloistered nuns. The cloister arcades are also decorated by frescoes, now much degraded
  33. 33. The cloister arcades are also decorated by frescoes, now much degraded
  34. 34. The Majolica Cloister at Santa Chiara monastery nowadays has a completely different design than at times when it was built. The cloister was edified in the 13th century and consists of 66 lancet arches (in Gothic style) supported by 66 piers in volcanic stone called piperno, which is highly common in former Neapolitan construction. The structure itself has remained intact, yet the changes have concerned a garden that has been entirely modified
  35. 35. The architect of the most radical transformation was D.A. Vaccaro, who planned and completed, between 1742 and 1769, two main intersecting alleys that divide the garden in four smaller parts, lined by 64 majolica columns decorated with animal and floral patterns
  36. 36. The majolica ornaments are attributed to craftsmen Donato and Giuseppe Massa, who worked at the cloister in order to harmonize the architecture with the surrounding reality, nature and colors
  37. 37. Sound: Dmitri Hvorostovsky - Core ´ngrato (S. Cardillo); Parlami d´amore, Mariù (C. Bixio); Voce ´e notte (E De Curtis); Irene Fargo - Munasterio e Santa Chiara Text: Internet Pictures: Sanda Foişoreanu Gabriela Cristescu Internet All  copyrights  belong to their  respective owners Presentation: Sanda Foişoreanu https://plus.google.com/+SandaMichaela 2018

×