Gloucester Cathedral2

1,729 views

Published on

YOU CAN WATCH THIS PRESENTATION IN MUSIC HERE:
http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/sandamichaela-1895774-gloucester-cathedral2/

Thank you
Gloucester Cathedral, or the Cathedral Church of St Peter and the Holy and Indivisible Trinity, stands in the north of the city near the river. It is 420 feet (130 m) long, and 144 feet (44 m) wide, with a fine central tower of the 15th century rising to the height of 225 ft (69 m) and topped by four delicate pinnacles, a famous landmark.

Published in: Travel, Spiritual
5 Comments
4 Likes
Statistics
Notes
No Downloads
Views
Total views
1,729
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
2
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
76
Comments
5
Likes
4
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • The Magnificent 1996 Restoration of St Andrew's Chapel From 1868.Gloucester
  • Gloucester Cathedral2

    1. 1. http://www.authorstream.com/Presentation/sandamichaela-1895774-gloucester-cathedral2/
    2. 2. Gloucester Cathedral, or the Cathedral Church of St Peter and the Holy and Indivisible Trinity, in Gloucester, England, stands in the north of the city near the river. It originated in 678 or 679 with the foundation of an abbey dedicated to Saint Peter (dissolved by King Henry VIII). The foundations of the present church were laid by Abbot Serlo (1072–1104). The cathedral, built as the abbey church, consists of a Norman nucleus (Walter de Lacy is buried there), with additions in every style of Gothic architecture. It is 420 feet (130 m) long, and 144 feet (44 m) wide, with a fine central tower of the 15th century rising to the height of 225 ft (69 m) and topped by four delicate pinnacles, a famous landmark. The nave is massive Norman with an Early English roof; the crypt, under the choir, aisles and chapels, is Norman, as is the chapter house. The crypt is one of the four apsidal cathedral crypts in England, the others being at Worcester, Winchester and Canterbury.
    3. 3. The beautiful tower over the central crossing and north transept loom over the cloister garth
    4. 4. The cloister garden
    5. 5. The cloister garth looking north-west toward the lavatorium The cloisters at Gloucester are the earliest surviving fan vaults, having been designed between 1351 and 1377 by Thomas de Cambridge. Gloucester’s historic cathedral cloisters were transformed into the corridors of Hogwart’s School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the films of JK Rowling’s first two books – Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.
    6. 6. The Cloister Fan vaults
    7. 7. The magnificent fan vaulting in the cloister
    8. 8. Fan vaulting, Gloucester cathedral Cloister
    9. 9. The west walk of the cloister with fan vaulting, looking north The south walk of the fan- vaulted cloister looking east
    10. 10. The Cloister Fan vaults
    11. 11. The Cloister Fan vaults
    12. 12. The carrels in the south walk of the cloister, looking west
    13. 13. Detail of the fan vaulting in the cloister Carrels in the cloister
    14. 14. Stained- glass in the cloister
    15. 15. Stained-glassdetailsfromthecloister
    16. 16. Female saints on a stained-glass window at the north end of the west walk of the cloister
    17. 17. The carved fan vaulting in the cloister
    18. 18. The cloister lavatorium in the north walk Victorian Hardman Stained-glass in the cloister lavatorium
    19. 19. The lavatorium in the cloister looking west Christ with angels stained-glass at the north end of the west walk of the cloister
    20. 20. Fananddecorativetraceryinthenorthwalkofthecloister Thestunningcloister,lookingeastinthenorthwalk
    21. 21. Corbel portrait of a recent dean on a buttress in the cloister garth Perpendicular tracery on a window in the cloister
    22. 22. The lierne vaulting of the Quire seen from the south transept The central crossing seen from the south transept
    23. 23. Looking northwest to the central crossing from the south transept The ogee arch entrance to the north ambulatory chapel.
    24. 24. Alderman Abraham Blackleech (1639) & Gertrude. Black marble tomb chest with alabaster recumbent effigies. By Epiphanius Evesham or Edward Marshall
    25. 25. Angels playing and singing, stained glass in the south transept
    26. 26. AbbotSeabrokewithSBarbara,SLuke,andFraAngelico,stained-glassinthesouth transept
    27. 27. TheoriginalNormangroinedvaultofthesouthambulatory TheQuirelookingwestfromthepresbytery
    28. 28. The stunning Great East 'Crecy' Window from the 14th century
    29. 29. The Crecy Window with apostles, saints and martyrs, abbots and bishops, and shields The great east window is the second largest area of medieval glass in any British church window, measuring 72ft high by 38ft wide, it was put together in the mid 14th century and shows the monks view of the divine order, the structure of their society in this life and beyond.
    30. 30. The elaborate lierne vault of the presbytery and quire
    31. 31. Gloucester cathedral, The quire vaults
    32. 32. Lierne vault of the presbytery profusely decorated with bosses
    33. 33. Lierne presbytery vault with Christ in glory surrounded by bosses with angels
    34. 34. View from the Sebrok pavement of the presbytery looking west toward the quire Abbot Sebrok's pavement in the presbytery - the sacrifice of Abraham
    35. 35. The perpendicular presbytery with the great east window and the lierne vaulting Thequadruplesediliawithlavishcanopiesonthesouthwallofthepresbytery
    36. 36. The parapet of the sedilia in the presbytery with angels playing musical instruments The north ambulatory
    37. 37. The high altar and the reredos by George Gilbert Scott beneath the Crecy window in the presbytery
    38. 38. The reredos with Nativity, Ascension, and Deposition, designed by George Gilbert Scott, behind the high altar
    39. 39. Depositiondetailfromthereredosbehindthehigh altarinthepresbytery Stained-glass in the South Ambulatory Chapel by Tom Denny with Doubting Thomas
    40. 40. The Norman lead font from the 12th century at the entrance of the Lady Chapel
    41. 41. Carved and painted entrance ceiling in the Lady Chapel
    42. 42. The altar and stunning modern altarpiece with paintings by Ian McKillop in the Lady Chapel
    43. 43. Detail from the altarpiece painting by Ian McKillop in the Lady Chapel
    44. 44. Stained-glass commemorating organists of the cathedral in the Lady Chapel
    45. 45. Celebratory window by Caroline Swash in honor of Herbert Howells in the south chantry of the Lady Chapel
    46. 46. ThefanvaultingofthesouthchantryintheLadyChapel Looking south-east in the Lady Chapel, note the 1617 wooden rails in front of the altar
    47. 47. High perpendicular style of the Lady Chapel, looking south-east
    48. 48. The east window in the Lady Chapel assembled from medieval fragments from elsewhere in the cathedral
    49. 49. The high altar and reredos seen from the north ambulatory
    50. 50. Window in the north ambulatory
    51. 51. WindowdepictingStMichaelinthenorthambulatoryEntrance to the west slype from the cloister
    52. 52. The south walk of the cloister with carrels below the transom The famous fan-vaulted cloister of Gloucester Cathedral
    53. 53. Altar and reredos in St Paul's Chapel in the north transept
    54. 54. Figure of St Peter on the reredos in St Paul's Chapel Detailed carving on the reredos in St Paul's Chapel
    55. 55. Reredos in St Paul's Chapel in the north transept with Ss Peter, Paul, and Luke carved by Redfern
    56. 56. The entrance to St Andrew's chapel in the south transept
    57. 57. Buttressing flying through the fabric of the south transept
    58. 58. High Victorian neo-Gothic decoration of St Andrew's Chapel in the south transept
    59. 59. Interior of St Andrew's Chapel - high Victorian job restored in 1996 St Alban painted in high Victorian style at St Andrew's Chapel
    60. 60. The pained ceiling of St Andrew's chapel decorated by Gambier Perry in 1868
    61. 61. The magnificent 1996 restoration of St Andrew's Chapel from 1868
    62. 62. Theneo-GothicreredosinStAndrew'sChapel
    63. 63. Sound: Jan Garbarek - O Salutaris Hostia Text: Internet and photographs Pictures: Branislav L. Slantchev and Antonio Mª Cabrera Copyright: All the images belong to their authors Presentation: Sanda Foi oreanuş www.slideshare.net/michaelasanda
    64. 64. O Salutaris Hostia is from the last two verses of Verbum Supernum, one of the five Eucharistic Hymns written by St. Thomas Aquinas (1225-1274) at the request of Pope Urban IV (1261-1264) when the Pope first instituted the Feast of Corpus Christi in 1264. The prayer is still used today, often at exposition of the Blessed Sacrament. O SALUTARIS Hostia Quae caeli pandis ostium. Bella premunt hostilia; Da robur, fer auxilium. Uni trinoque Domino Sit sempiterna gloria: Qui vitam sine termino, Nobis donet in patria. Amen O SAVING Victim opening wide The gate of heaven to all below. Our foes press on from every side; Thine aid supply, Thy strength bestow. To Thy great name be endless praise Immortal Godhead, One in Three; Oh, grant us endless length of days, In our true native land with Thee. Amen (tr. E Caswall)

    ×