Successfully reported this slideshow.
Comenius Project, 2013-
Classical Times light the way
to our future
Corseul : civitas Curiosolitum
• It was founded by the Romans around
• It was the capital city of the Coriosolis.
• It was called Fanum Martis
• It was an important city :
• 11, 000 square metres
• 10, 000 inhabitants
• It was :
• an administration,
• a religious,
• a commercial centre.
• It was built like all the Roman Cities :
• Two main streets :
• The cardo : north – south
• The decumanus : east – west
At the junction were all the important buildings.
The shopping centre then,
The shopping centre now,
• It was the house of a rich Roman
• This domus was not far from the forum.
• It had :
• Central heating with a system called an
• This domus had a well
• It also had a private bath
The temple of Mars
• It is the biggest Roman temple found in
• It is near from Fanum Martis
• The temple is organised around a big
courtyard : 5, 000 square metres.
• On one side there is just a wall.
• On three sides there were galleries.
• At the top is the cella.
• Pilgrims came and offered presents to
• The main God was Mars but people
worshipped Celtic Gods too.
• It was a sacred tower.
• Only the priests could go in.
• It was the house for the Statue of the
• The tower was 22 metres high.
• It was higher than the courtyard.
• There were steps to go up to it.
• In front of the tower was the altar
where they sacrified animals.
• Archeologists from INRAP are still
working in Corseul.
• They are still making discoveries.
• They are still asking questions about the