A lesson by Mike Smith. Everyone should develop upward thinking. This is the focus on things from heaven which are God's things which He wants us to think about and things to do while we're here on earth.
• In Colossians 3 we enter a section
dealing with our new life in Christ.
• Truly, the old things we used to do have
passed away and now we focus on how
all things need to become new in our life.
– Thus, enters the discourse about upward
• Let us seek how to think and live right
according to God’s truth!
Our Positive & Proper Focus:
• Since you were “raised with Christ”...
– Raised (baptized) when you obeyed the
gospel… Col. 2:11-14; Rom. 6:3-6; 2 Cor. 5:17
• “Seek those things which are above, where
Christ is, sitting at the right hand of God.”
Col. 3:1; Eph. 1:20
– Christ needs to be sitting and ruling at the
throne of our hearts as well! Col. 3:15
– All the while we must be seeking those things
which come to us from heaven. Heb. 12:24-25
• We are supposed to set our mind on things
above, not on things on the earth.
– Our mind is to be focused on these things from
God and we do them because we love Him...
– And because we truly want to live right with God.
– We don’t want to be diverted because of our
love for other things which are of the world!
Mark 4:19; 2 Timothy 3:1-5; John 12:43
– We also do this so that we can mature and have
a great fullness of life! Colossians 1:9-12
We Have Upward Thinking
• We have died to the world and sin.
Colossians 3:3-4; 1:21; Romans 6:2-11
• We are looking forward to our eternal
inheritance with Christ in glory!
Upward Thinking & Living
• Our upward thinking is effected by our
renewed mind according to the knowledge
of Christ who created us. V.10
– We are to put off the old man and put on the
new man. Ephesians 4:20-24
• Upward thinking and living will cause us to
put away: fornication, uncleanness,
passion, evil desire, and covetousness
which is idolatry, anger, wrath, malice,
blasphemy, filthy language, and lying.
• Be sure that you have upward thinking as
your focus insuring that you put away the
old man and put on the renewed mindset.
• If you’ve never accepted Christ for eternal
life, come to Him today by:
– Hearing and believing the gospel. Rom. 1:16
– Repenting of your sin. Acts 3:19
– Confessing Christ. Acts 8:37
– Baptism into Christ. Rom. 6:4; Acts 22:16