• Are you standing on the promises?
– Let us examine our text to understand
about the promises of God.
• Why did he encourage them as he did?
• What other lessons can we learn from
• Let’s explore! Ps. 25:10; 119:160
We All Need To Trust In Christ’s Return!
• They especially needed to know that
Christ’s coming was to be in the future
after the falling away. vv.1-3; Jn. 14:1-3
• Some would say it is “very soon” as if it
would be that month or year for example.
– The truth is, no one knows the exact day
nor the hour. Mark 13:32-33
– They were to live faithful and need not worry
but have peace. John 14:27; Rom. 14:17
– So we must wait for Jesus’ return. 1 Thes.
1:10; 4:16; 2 Thes. 1:7-9
The Falling Away Was To Come First!
• Its iniquity had already begun. 2 Tim. 3:1-9;
1 Tim. 4:1-3; Acts 20:28-30; 3 Jn. 9-10
• The falling away (apostasy) is now called
the Roman Catholic church.
– Bishops usurped elders authority - 2nd Century
– Infant baptism first mentioned about 150 AD
– Many heathen rituals—candles, incense, robes
etc.—added to “Christian worship”-third century.
– Pope gains “universal authority” 606 AD
The Man Of Sin Would Be Revealed!
• The son of perdition. V.3
– He opposes and exalts himself above all that is
called God or that is worshiped.
• Only Christ has this authority and honor!
Rev. 19:10; 22:9; 1 Tim. 6:15; Eph. 1:18-23
– He sits as God in the temple of God showing
himself that he is God. V.4
• The pope calls himself God, “Pope John XXII
is expressly called "our Lord God the Pope":
the Ethiopic version reads, "he shall say to
all, I am the Lord God” (Extrarag. "cum inter".)
• Infallibility of the pope – 1870. cf. Rom. 3:10
We Must Not Be Deceived!
• By power, signs, lying wonders… according
to the working of Satan. Rev. 12:9; Jn. 8:44
• Satan’s workers will appear as angels of
light but are not. 2 Cor. 11:12-15
• Using all unrighteous deception. vv.10-12
– Jannes and Jambres in Egypt. 2 Tim. 3:8
– Jesus warned of false Christ’s and prophets…
– People would be deceived by sorceries…
Revelation 18:23; 19:20
– Those who follow the false ones will say…
We Must Continue To Believe And
Be Faithful To Christ – vv.13-14
• God’s wants us to understand that He loves
us and has given us everlasting consolation
and good hope by His grace. v.16
• We ought to allow God to establish us in
every good word and work. Jn. 14:15
• We are to stand fast in Christ’s doctrine
alone. 2 Thes. 2:15-17; 2 Jn. 9;
• We must trust His promise and walk by
faith until He comes… 1 Jn. 2:25; 2 Cor.
5:7; 1 Thes. 4:14-18
Are You Ready For Jesus’ Return?
• He is coming back. Acts 17:30-31
• If not, will you come to Jesus today and be
saved? Mt. 11:28-30 …HOW?
– You must hear and believe Christ’s gospel.
– You must repent of your sin. Acts 3:19
– You must confess Christ. Rom. 10:10
– You must be baptized into Christ. Rom. 6:3-6;