World Rejects This
• Most people’s concept of this beatitude is
that it is contrary to human nature.
• They misunderstand this to mean that we
should be a push-over or doormats.
• The reason they don’t understand Jesus’
teachings is because they’re coming from a
divine perspective, not human reasoning.
Meek Doesn’t Mean…
• From scripture we can see what it doesn’t mean.
Underlined is the same word for meek in the
• Mt. 11:29 ISV Place my yoke on you and learn from
me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will
find rest for your souls.
– It does not mean humble
– This word is difficult to translate into English
Meek Doesn’t Mean…
• Underlined is the same word for meek in the original
Greek. It doesn’t mean the surrounding words!
– “…holy and beloved, put on a heart of compassion,
kindness, humility, gentleness and patience” Col. 3:12
– In Galatians 5:22-23 “love, joy, peace, patience,
kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness or
• Some may think it means good manners, nice, etc.
Meek Is Not Weak
• Many equate meekness with weakness,
this is wrong.
• The strongest men that ever lived were
– Moses: Num. 12:3; Ex. 15:1
– Jesus: Mt. 11:29; Mt 21:12
• Primarily it means… mildness of disposition,
• It is described by doctors as a soothing
medicine, by sailors to represent a gentle
breeze, it’s used by farmers for a broken colt.
• A working definition for meekness = “strength
How To Be Meek
• Be like Jesus! Heb. 5:8-9
– Jesus submitted to the Father’s will…
– Today, We must submit our will to the will of Christ.
– We must submit to one another with the heart of
love. Eph. 4:1-2
– We must walk according to the precepts of our
vocation controlling our attitudes and actions toward
all, including ourselves. Col. 3:5; Gal. 2:20
How Meek Fits In…
Quick review and preview
• V. 3 The poor in spirit see they are powerless to
• V.4 They who mourn realize they are sinners but
also act on that knowledge and grieve over their
lost condition v.5 because of these things, the meek
are now willing to submit their lives to the will of God
• V.6 By hungering & thirsting, will naturally want to
learn all of God’s will for them so they can obey it!
• Abraham with Lot. Genesis 13:7ff; Eph. 4:1-2
• David when Saul died. 2 Samuel 1:11-12
• Jesus example in Gethsemane. Mt. 26:36-39
• Faithful Christians live an abundant life here
on the earth. Jn. 10:10
• We know how to use strength under control.
– Like Paul did… Phil. 4:11-12
• We’re joint heirs with Christ now with much
more to look forward. Romans 8:17;
1 Jn. 2:25
•Are you willing to yield your
will and submit to God’s will?
•Will you join the ranks of
those who are blessed because
they are meek?
•Will you be saved today?
•Hear and believe the gospel Rom. 10:17
•Repent of sin Acts 3:19
•Confess faith in Jesus Acts 8:37
•Baptism to wash away your sins Acts 22:16