Trauma and New
In Barrio Logan
Angela Gigliotti, PhD candidate
Educational Studies, Centre for Art and Learning
Goldsmiths, University of London
Can expressive arts be used to create new life
narratives among adjudicated youth?
How is Barrio Logan as place created through
visual imagery and corporeal perceptions?
Practice as Research
• socially engaged, relational art
• embedded within the community as a local resident
• collaborating with other artists, including my students
• explore the ‘work’ of art in their lives and in my own
Suzanne Lacy’s use of narratives and the aesthetic
experiences she creates.
• ‘Skin of Memory’
• ‘The Crystal Quilt’
• ‘There are Voices in the Desert’
Using photo and
is an attempt to
shift the power
to the students.
The affective encounters within the art practices are mapped both artistically, as
photography and videography, and as a form of critical pedagogy
• maps the city through personal landmarks and recordings of mood in
relation to places.
Liz Kueneke and Margarita Pineda
• mapping of symbolic identity to spaces as an artistic practice.