Most digital agencies face numerous pressures to execute high quality fast. This keynote focused on how organisations can use lean, agile, ISO9001 and UCD methods to deliver multiple innovative projects with few resources.
Web & Mobile
Hosting & Support
Top 500 company in Europe,
The Middle East and Africa 2012
The only digital agency certiﬁed in
ISO 9241:210 and ISO9001:2008
18th largest South East digital agency
according to turnover and growth
User centred design (UCD)
de le fo
ea r a
User Experience Lead
Quality Assurance Lead
User-centred Design & Marketing
Why should I involve my customers?
“If you're only looking at the problem from your own
point of view you're only going to be, at best, half right.”
Jesse James Garrett
Author of The Elements of User Experience
1. User stories replace requirements.
2. Replaces the notion of ‘phases’.
3. Scrum welcomes change.
4. The concept of 'done'.
5. Team autonomy.
“Scrum was a major contributor to a 66% reduction in
cycle time… Scrum improved staﬀ morale, transparency
and lead to uncover bugs and poor habits
Agile Project Development at Intel: A Scrum Odyssey
A framework - ISO9001:2008
1. Key procedures are documented.
2. Record keeping is systemised.
3. Client surveys.
4. CAPA analysis.
5. Quality objectives.
6. Continual improvement.
“Within 12 months, ISO9001 helped us to improve
proﬁtability by 177%. The team understands the business,
department and their own objectives”.
* comparing Aug 2012 with Aug 2013
1. Develop MVPs while pivoting
2. Build, measure and learn
3. Actionable analytics
4. Validated' learning
5. Automation for speed / errors
6. Small batches work better.
7. Eliminate ‘waste’.
8. Uses the andon cord.
Lean thinking provided a 93% reduction time in specimen
reception and a 40% reduction time in turnaround time.
Specimens arrive in the lab up to 3 hours earlier.
Neil Westwood / Clinical Process Consultant
Hereford Hospitals, NHS Trust, UK
Combining UCD, agile and lean
By combining UCD, ISO 9001 and agile together we gain:
• A superior user experience design process
• An agile mindset and manoeuvrability
• Strong quality management processes
Top 10 skills of a project manager
1. Be systemised but ﬂex with the project.
2. Use frameworks such as UCD, agile, lean and ISO9001.
3. Documentation will help you to track and monitor progress.
4. Communication can be improved by using Trello.
5. Make yourself passionate about the subject.
6. Be ready to juggle speed, scope and pricing.
7. Show empathy to all stakeholders.
8. Be prepared to multi-task.
9. Be a detail freak and test all the time.
10. Show a relentless drive to deliver quality.
Thanks for listening