Successfully reported this slideshow.
We use your LinkedIn profile and activity data to personalize ads and to show you more relevant ads. You can change your ad preferences anytime.

Net impact Presentation 10-11

287 views

Published on

Mercy Corps Net Impact Presentation by Cathy Rothenberger 10-11

Published in: Business, Career
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

Net impact Presentation 10-11

  1. 1. Applying your MBA degree at Mercy Corps
  2. 2. Who we are <ul><li>A humanitarian aid agency with 4,000 dedicated professionals in over 40 countries. </li></ul><ul><li>Annual turnover of $250 million. </li></ul><ul><li>Sources of revenue: public and private grants and donations. </li></ul><ul><li>Activities: Highly entrepreneurial, market-driven, community-led programming, impact investing, and disaster relief . </li></ul>
  3. 3. Where we work Emerging markets in the world ’s toughest places
  4. 4. Who do we hire? 90% of our 4000 staff are nationals of the countries in which we work. The remaining 10% are expatriates and HQ-based.
  5. 5. What we look for <ul><li>People with a passion to make a difference </li></ul><ul><li>Rigorous thinkers </li></ul><ul><li>Creative problem solvers </li></ul><ul><li>Clear communicators who can lead, share and collaborate </li></ul><ul><li>People with an interest in the world ’s toughest problems </li></ul><ul><li>Visionary social entrepreneurs and innovators </li></ul>
  6. 6. A ‘typical’ career... <ul><li>North Dakota </li></ul><ul><li>Hong Kong </li></ul><ul><li>Georgetown </li></ul><ul><li>Belize & Nepal </li></ul><ul><li>Thunderbird </li></ul><ul><li>Azerbaijan </li></ul><ul><li>Indonesia </li></ul><ul><li>Lebanon </li></ul><ul><li>Eritrea </li></ul><ul><li>Kosovo </li></ul><ul><li>Portland </li></ul>
  7. 7. How we apply business know-how <ul><li>Bank Andara Indonesia: Wholesale MFI Bank </li></ul><ul><li>KeBal Indonesia: Social Enterprise </li></ul><ul><li>ARAB DEVELOPER NETWORK INITIATIVE Palestine: ICT sector TA & investment </li></ul><ul><li>Mobile Wallets - Haiti </li></ul>
  8. 8. MBA value-added <ul><li>Financial analysis – fiscal and social ROI </li></ul><ul><li>Project & organizational management </li></ul><ul><li>How to get things done in fast moving and complex situations </li></ul><ul><li>Market research </li></ul><ul><li>Stakeholder analysis </li></ul>
  9. 9. How do I get a job at Mercy Corps? <ul><li>Have experience living and working in the developing world. </li></ul><ul><li>Understand business and economics in the developing world. </li></ul><ul><li>Understand the challenges of development programming. </li></ul><ul><li>US and UK opportunities. </li></ul>
  10. 10. Don ’t get lost in translation <ul><li>Non-profit hiring managers may not immediately recognize the value of your qualifications or experience. Distill it and articulate it in clear simple language. </li></ul><ul><li>You need to communicate, in a language they will understand, the value you bring to their world. </li></ul>
  11. 11. Elevator pitch <ul><li>Know what value you bring to the organization </li></ul><ul><li>Shareholder value = what in the non-profit world? </li></ul><ul><li>While you have many skills, what are the top 3 you can leverage? </li></ul><ul><li>Know the industry – do your research. </li></ul>
  12. 12. Internships at Mercy Corps <ul><li>A great way to figure out whether this is your passion. www.mercycorps.org/jobs . Generally unpaid. </li></ul><ul><li>Overseas – Full-time, usually graduate students with some previous overseas experience. </li></ul><ul><li>US – Part-time, typically do not demand graduate level education or prior experience . </li></ul>
  13. 13. <ul><li>Go to www.mercycorps.org/jobs to learn more </li></ul><ul><li>Follow us on Twitter at @mercycorps_jobs </li></ul>Is the Mercy Corps team for you?

×