Background and why me?
The Artist conundrum
Tactical vs. the Emotional
Q & A
• Multi-cultural background.
• Influenced significantly by my travels.
• Created Art and now collecting Art.
• Educator, Innovator, Curator &
• Artists are solo curators unlike a business
• Artists have a vision and where they want to
• Artists don’t work for the customer unlike
business entrepreneurs whose mission is
“what customer wants”.
• It’s not necessarily about solving a problem,
fixing an experience or innovation but about
• Emotions, feelings, disrupting a thought
process or is about making an intellectual
• Most art connoisseurs do not make repeat
ART purchases on a frequent basis.
A R T SU FFER S TH E MO MEN T O TH ER PEO PLE STA R T
PAYIN G FO R IT.
H ugh Ma c le od, c a rt oonis t
We live in contradictions!
• Science vs. Spirituality
• Creative integrity vs. Commissioned work
• We want to live but our cells age every day.
• Evolution vs. Intelligent Design ☺☺☺☺!
But why not embrace contradiction?
• Think of art as complementary to the
pursuit of happiness.
• Embrace our inner contradictions.
• Be human.
• Be inspirational.
• Money is not the end. It’s the means.
• It’s the work and not the reward. Reward
• J R f rom Pa ris – he lpe d me ga in more e mpa t hy f or t he
ha ve - not s a nd brought a f a c e f orw a rd t o a c a us e .
• R .K .La x ma n – A c a rt oonis t , w ho e duc a t e d me on
polit ic s , humor a nd ga ve me a n opport unit y t o la ugh
a t mys e lf .
• H a ns We gne r – Tha t s imple is be a ut if ul.
An Artist’s life
-> loyalty -> growth
Inspiration -> creation -> focus
-> branding -> awareness -> packaging -> pricing -> sale
You cannot influence what’s above the line
but you can influence what’s below
Building your personal brand!
W ha t do you s t a nd f or a s a n a rt is t ?
E m o t i o n
C o l o r
Ty p e o f a r t
Au d i e n c e
T h e r a p y
H ow do you bra nd yours e lf ?
Phys ic a l
D re s s
C a rds
Virt ua l
Me s s a ging
What is one thing that will make you memorable?
Awareness - Building your audience one day at a time
• To gain more inspiration.
• Build your lists – “Pay forward strategy”.
• Yes your potential customer list.
• Share your story.
• To spread the word about your vision, mission
• Persistence and consistent messaging pays off.
• Get others to talk about your art.
• Make an effort to understand the other side
• Gallery owners, curators, patrons. 15
• Globalization means that ‘Art’ transcends
• Your reach is more than you know.
• Everyone is watching if you want to put
on the show.
• More have time and money to own art in BRICS.
• Millennium generation has little attention span.
They get it in bits and bites.
• 3D printing will revolutionize how people think
Business models are changing!
• Rent vs. Own. We live in shared economy.
• Networked economy and “likes” matter.
• It might not be about your art but what
• People, network, influence, politics and
• You can copy my art but you cannot copy me.
• Can you deliver me full service?
• Show them how you made it. Even passive art
can be interactive by engaging the audience
Juried Shows, Festivals
Who is watching, how many , where and when matters!
ARTIST FOOD CHAIN
Have you bothered to check in?
• When was the last time you checked in
with your patron?
• Do you keep your list, patrons, and well
• Do you go where they go?
• Instagram, Tumblr, Twitter, Airbnb,
I believe that “artists can be an
• Being complimentary.
• Listening to what’s around you.
• Pulling your audience into your vision,
inspiration & conversation.
What are few things that have kept you
from pursuing your entrepreneurial path as