Main topics1.Introduction2.Platform3.Software development4.Overall evaluation
1. Introduction Windows Mobile is a compact operating system combined with a suite of basic applications for mobile devices based on the Microsoft Win32 API (Application Programing Interfaces). Devices that run Windows Mobile include Pocket PCs, Smart phones, Portable Media Centers, and on-board computers for certain automobiles. It is designed to be somewhat similar to desktop versions of Windows, feature- wise and aesthetically. Additionally, third-party software development is available for Windows Mobile.
2. Platform 2.1 Hardware Pocket PC is a hardware specification for a handheld- sized computer. Smartphone is a mobile phone offering advanced capabilities, often with PC-like functionality
2. Platform Portable Media Center was a device that focused on integration with Microsofts Windows Media Center and Windows Media Player to allow users to carry their media libraries with them on the go. Windows Mobile for Automotive is the name for Microsofts operating system that facilitates multiple functions in automobiles including communication, entertainment, information systems
2. PlatformWe cannot use Windows Mobile with iPhone BlackBerry Phones made for Symbian Another phones or devices which are not compatible with WM Summarize we can use Windows Mobile only with devices which are designed for it!
2. PlatformWhat is Windows CE? It means Windows Embedded Compact developed for embedded system it is trimmed down version of Desktop Windows. The kernel may run under a megabyte of memory and the device is configured without disc storage it is burned into the Rom.
2. Platform2.2 Operating SystemsPocket PC 2000Features :• Pocket Office• QVGA 240*320• MMC card and Compact Flash supported• Pocket Internet Explorer• Windows Media PlayerPocket PC 2002New features:• Spell checker• MSN Messenger• Terminal Services
2. PlatformWindows Mobile 2003New features:• Bluetooth support• Pictures application with viewing cropping, e-mail support• SMS replay options for Phone editionWindows Mobile 2003 SENew features:• Portait and Landscape swtiching for Pocket PC’s• Wi-Fi Protected Access
2. PlatformWindows Mobile 5New features:• New Office Mobile• Photo Caller ID• GPS support• DirectShow support• Picture and Video package• Default QWERTY keyboard support
2. PlatformWindows Mobile 6.5New features:• New Home screen• Finger friendly• New Menu• Pocket Internet Explorer• Windows Marketplace for Mobile. Microsoft says that the first phones will be available in the second half of 2009.
2. PlatformWindows Mobile 7 (Mango Slice) Features : People Hub (Facebook,Twiter)Groups (Contacts)Threads(Hands free Txt )Email featuring Outlook MobilePictures Hub + CameraThe apps you wantStart Screen + Live TilesMarketplace HubGames Hub featuring Xbox LIVEMusic + Videos HubOffice HubInternet ExplorerLocal Scout (GPS)
2. Platform2.3 Network Connectivity (Core) • EAP (Extensible Authentication Protocol) wireless and point to point communication • API Redirector (Provides detailed information about the Windows Networking API/Redirector implementation in Windows Mobile. Shows how to use Windows Networking API/Redirector to access remote file systems and manage network connections.) • TCP/IP (it is the set of communications protocols used for the Internet and similar networks, and generally the most popular protocol stack for wide area networks.) • IPv6 • Sockets
2. Platform• IPv6(used for direct internet traffic, data transfers in packet form and it cantains recivers ip address)• Sockets
2. Platform2.4 Security- Certificates (common credential)- Credential Manager (manages credential information)- Authentication services (for developers to authenticate clients - SSPI)- Cryptography (to distribute information in secret code)- Local Authentication Subsystem (For sophisticated authentication systems, such as biometrics)- Smart card subsystem (Provides a link between smart card reader hardware and smart-card aware applications)
2. Platform2.5 Performance- A lot more stable than Windows Mobile 5- Battery life: depends on running processes (average: 2-3 days)- Fast, if the device itself meets all the requirements- Smooth interface- Overall, it’s a great improvement to Windows Mobile 5
2. Platform2.6 Future possibilitiesMore user-friendly interfaceMore 3D graphicsNew kinds of Windows Mobiles devices
3. Software development3.1 Development requirementsWhat is needed to create a Windows Mobile application:1.Visual Studio 2005 Standard Edition or above.With this interface you can author, debug and package applications for delivery.
3. Software development3.1 Development requirementsWhat is needed to create a Windows Mobile application:2.Windows Mobile SDK. It contains: - API header; - The library files to access Windows Mobile functionality; - Documentation; - Sample application projects; - Emulators.
3. Software development3.1 Development requirementsWhat is needed to create a Windows Mobile application:3. ActiveSync or Windows Mobile Device Center.To deploy the application to a device or to an emulator. Windows Vista uses Windows Mobile Device Center and doesnt support ActiveSync. Windows XP needs to have ActiveSync dowloaded and installed.
3. Software development3.2 IDE and Tools • Visual Studio 2005 • Visual Studio 2008 • Professional • Standard • (Express)
3. Software development3.3 Programming Language(s)Visual Studio is a complete suit to build applications for Windows Mobile devices. It allows the development in native code with Visual C++ or managed code with Visual C#, Visual Basic. These three languages all use the same IDE which allows tool sharing and the combination of them all. Only the managed languages support the .NET Compact Framework.
3. Software development 3.3 Programming Language(s) Choosing a Programming Language: Visual C++Interacts directly to the hardware for theWindows Mobile powered device, with nointervening layers. Advantages: - Execution speed; - Application size; - Flexibility.
3. Software development 3.3 Programming Language(s) Choosing a Programming Language:Visual C# and Visual Basic The development tools for C# and Visual Basic .NET include a fully what-you-see-is- what-you-get user interface designer. Advantages: - Reliable and rapid application development; - Security and language interoperability; - C# is simple, powerful, type-safe, and object-oriented.
4. Overall Evaluation4.1 Advantages • Widely Supported • Lot of Documentation • Easy to Develop for • Advanced IDE
4. Overall Evaluation4.2 Limitations BlackBerry: Windows Mobile: Provides the ability to view threaded e-mail and missed calls on one screen as part of the Inbox. the Inbox. Has a plastic holster that automatically Does not have a similar shuts it off when you insert it into it. This is feature. done via a simple magnet in the holster.Stable & Low energy consumption: Symbian: The advantages are found mostly in the Microsoft is slowly stability of the devices and the low energy improving the latter. consumption.
4. Overall Evaluation• 4.2 Limitations biggest weakness: interface -------> the most to lose to iPhone and Palm biggest complaint: the number of steps it takes to perform a simple tasksuch as closing out of a program