Question 4: how did you use mediatechnologies in the construction and research, planning and evaluation stages?
We used many different forms of technology. Tostart with we viewed documentaries onyoutube.com which we made notes about. NextI created a blogging site on Blogspot.com torecord all my work, this was very simple. Nextwe uploaded our notes on the documentariesand published them, after this we created aCodes and Conventions list for documentaries.
We then began using Microsoft Word where wecreated some possible idea’s for ourdocumentary, after this was done we used Wordand the Internet(for research) to decide whatour documentary should include, when it shouldbe on, what channel it should be on etc.
After this I began come up with ideas for myown documentary, so I created another newword file and began constructing a Brainstormof Content, which (when completed) was alsouploaded onto my blog.
The next piece of equipment we used was theKodak scanner, which we used to scan our hand-drawn location sheets and two storyboards.
Next we interviewed four peoplefrom our demographic(two boysand two girls), we did this using aXM2 Canon Camera, tripod and amicrophone, which recorded ontotape which we put onto acomputer with the help of a Sr-dvm700 tape recorder, theprogram we used to captureexport and edit our recordingswas Adobe Premiere Pro CS5. Wethen uploaded these onto ayoutube account and embeddedthe code onto our blogs;altogether this was a quite quickand easy process.
We then used Google to complete some of ourresearch, we looked for takeaways in our localarea with telephone numbers so we couldarrange an interview.
We then gave out aquestionnaire wehad completed onMicrosoft Word,after we gatheredthe results we usedMicrosoft Excel totally up the totalsand to produce piecharts which wethen uploaded toour blogs.
Next we typed up our formal proposal anduploaded it onto our Blogs. We then went backto Google to find some statistics and facts whichwe could use in our documentary, we madenotes of all our sources so we could refer backto them at any point.
We then began to draw single frames for all theinterviews, so we would have an idea of whatwe were going to do, we then scanned these inand uploaded them to our blogs.
We then began to startfilming still using theXM2 Canon Cameraand the tripod, weused tape as it couldhold more videofootage.
To prove that we were actually filming we had totake pictures of ourselves, we used a Sanyo XactiHD1 camera and also sometimes used theBlackberry phone camera. We planned to takephoto’s so we could include them in our filmingdiary’s
For the interviews we used a mobile phone toring the takeaways owners(or managerial staff),we also used the internet and emails, to contactthem.
After this we went to the editing suite, were webegan importing all of the footage off our tape,we used Adobe Premiere Pro again. Wecaptured all the footage onto the program sothat it was saved and so we could re-use thetype for more filming.
After capturing the footage we then set aboutorganising the clips into a correct order, thisgave us an insight into what our documentarywill look like, we then carefully selected whichshots we were going to keep and which shots wewould bin, we also added a few transitions andeffects.
We carried on editing our documentary, usingsome of the tools on Adobe Premiere, we cutdown the clips with the ‘razor tool’ and usingthe zoom in tool to cut them down preciselywhere we wanted it. This gave us a precise andclean finish.
We then began adding music to ourdocumentary, we first used it whilst creating themontage at the beginning of the documentary,trying to synchronise the clips as best as wecould. We then added titles to the intervieweeclips introducing them and their relation to thedocumentary.
Next we moved onto the issue of the sound. Westarted by making a riff from the song loop, wecarefully cut the song down in Adobe Premiere,we tried to keep the sound smooth andconsistent with an effect called the ‘constantpower’. We lowered the sound in interviews, sothe interviewee could be heard, we sometimeseven faded the whole song out.
We used a blue screen during interviews toenhance the interview. We did this by firstapplying a ‘chroma key’ in the menu of ‘videoeffects’ to the interviewee. Then we put theimage that we chose on the layer underneath iton the timeline. We then smoothed out therough edges and changed the opacity to make itlook as professional as possible. This enhancedour interviews and made them a lot moreexciting to the audience.
We used a decent amount ofarchive footage in thedocumentary. We used severalfrom restaurants after checkingto see whether we could usethem we downloaded themand imported them into AdobePremiere. In one aspect werecorded ourselves on theJustEat.com website. We didthis with a program calledDaniusoft and then imported itlike any other type of media.
For the voice over we had to create a script, thiswas later typed up onto Word, we asked a friendto read it and recorded him in the radio room,using a program called Audacity, we also usedradio equipment, headphones andmicrophones. We then recorded each bit ofnarration separately and when we finished wesaved both files as MP3 files.
Before we could start onour print advert we had tolook at other adverts so wecould have an idea of whatthe channel and age groupdesire’s in their adverts,we used a channel 4website calledwww.4creative.co.uk tolook at other print adverts.
We then began by drawing a draft of out printadvert which we then scanned onto thecomputer. We then constructed the final piecefor this we used Adobe Photoshop. Using thelassoo tool to cut out the image of the meal.
For the Audience feedback we decied to accessa bigger audience, we did this by using FacebookI posted my video as a status asking my friendsto comment. We also used a questionnaire toget a more positive and more deep answers.