The Meaning of Biology -Whenever you see “… ology ” or “… logy ” you will be involved in a study of a particular area of, as the stem comes from the Greek “ logos ” which really means the knowledge or study of . -Greek “ bios ” means life , so the general meaning of biology is the study of living things .
Fields of Biology Just as the term science is quite general , so too, is biology. The wide field can be broken down into more specific areas. A common division is into: Botany (a study of plants) Zoology (a study of animals) … but there are other divisions. Following is a list of some of the more specific areas of this science which you might come across.
1. Anatomy … Study of the structure of plant and animal organs
2. Bacteriology … Study of microscopic non-green organisms, which may cause disease
3. Cytology … Study of the structure and function of cells
4. Ecology … Study of organisms and their interaction with each other and the environment.
5. Embryology … Study of the early development of organisms
Terminology In biology, many of the terms have been derived from Greek or Latin stems. An example was given when biology was defined and “ology” was explained. A meaning such as this enables a person to at least have a partial idea of what a word might stand for, regardless of what language you speak. “ bios ” + “ ology ” = “ life ” + “ the study ” = the study of life !
Topic 1 Assignment: 1. Read page 3-7 2. What are the 10 life processes? 3. Complete #1-3 (pg. 4) ** 4. Complete #1-3 (pg. 7) ** 5. Topic Review Crossword ** Write out questions or answer in full sentences