The Cupcake Catalyst
Professional Development Website Creation
Via Project Based Learning
at The University of Texas Arlington
On the menu
• Examine a methodology for pushing students' learning outside
• Identify 21st century skills used within the project
• Generate scenarios for interdisciplinary collaboration
• Investigate trends in online Educational Profession Development
• Establish the importance of creating Professional Learning
Solve a problem
• Outdated text book
• Course offered every third semester constituted time intensive
• Course needed a 21st Century update
COMS 4321 Readers Theatre
Readers interpret various kinds of literature for an
audience using group dynamics. Analysis and criticism of
literature are stressed
• Enrolled students had prior knowledge of content
• Enrolled students are digital natives
• Support from Department Chair
What to do….
What is this exactly?
Who is using this method?
Where is it being used?
Why is being used?
How is it being used?
And most importantly –
How can my students bring their expertise to these questions?
Let’s stop wasting teachers’ time and
money. Let’s start empowering them to find
the knowledge they need and create effective
learning communities with other educators
that does not require large budgets or days
spent out of the classroom."
Dr. April Sanders
Spring Hill College, Mobile, AL
So, what are you in the mood for…?
How to please the "Foodies"
How Teachers are learning
• Build an online open source
• Make connections with
peers & experts
• Discover value through use
of these tools
• Transfer this learning to
• Unlimited access to information
• Integration of video into the
• TEACHER CHOICE
• Informal learning
• Connecting teachers
strategically, with a plan
Savor the flavor
Don't try to reinvent the wheel
Follow a good example
Connect 2 Learn
Encourage student creativity
The RT Room
Students were encouraged to
use digital tools that they
were familiar with and to
incorporate in new and
Top with a few sprinkles…
Launch Event in the CUBE
Professional Learning Community
Mini Conference CONNECTIONS.
It’s your opportunity to connect
with innovative ideas and
colleagues across campus in an
informal but informative
atmosphere. PLC members will
be discussing their projects and
experiences in lightning rounds
with small groups of participants
with the opportunity for Q&A.