Grantee: Clinton County RESA
Activities: Early On Public Awareness
Submitted by: Christy Callahan, Director Date: 9/2/2010
Reporting Period: April 17th, 2010 – 9/2/2010
Progress Report to the Early On® Michigan Interagency Coordinating Council
1. Assisted service areas in the identification of children who may be eligible for Early On and Special Education:
Since September 2nd, 2010, through 1-800-EARLYON, referred 2373 children to local Early On service areas.
Since September 2nd, 2010, through 1-800-252-0052, referred 503 children to Special Education child find coordinators at
intermediate school districts.
Referral sources: approximately 61% are from hospitals and physicians.
Since April 17th, 2010 responded to 414 calls for general information.
2. Worked to provide a seamless system for acquiring Early On and Special Education child find public awareness materials for
stakeholders in collaboration with the Center for Educational Networking (CEN).
Processed, packaged, and shipped 421 orders through the online ordering system.
Reprinted the Early On Child Developmental Wheel in English, to strengthen outreach and to support the development of
children from birth to 5 years of age.
Reprinted Early On Family Guidebooks 1, 2, and 3, in English to support local service agencies.
Reprinted the Early On and Project Find Growth Chart to support primary referral sources with materials for outreach.
Reprinted the Early On and Project Find blended bookmark in English to strengthen outreach.
Redesigned the current Online Ordering System to include a blended campaign design, a new shopping-cart feature, tracking
system, and streamlined inventory process. Set to launch in the Fall of 2010.
In collaboration with the Center for Educational Networking, the Early On Family Guidebook Redesign Workgroup met on
June 15th, 2010 to continue the work of the redesign process. The group reached consensus of using New Mexico’s FIT
(Family Infant and Toddler) Program book as a model.
3. Increased the number of Early On Michigan Facebook fans from 279 to 457. This site has an average of 307 page visits per
week. Local service agencies are encouraged to use this page to promote events and share information to increase awareness and
build an online community for early interventionists and the early childhood community.
4. Increased the number of users following http://twitter.com/ChildFindMich account from 176 to 237. This social marketing effort
is to strengthen the support and build continued awareness among state agencies, businesses, and the general public.
5. Continued collaboration with the Family-to-Family Health and Information Workgroup/Public Awareness to strengthen outreach
amongst partners, parents, and children with special needs and/or supports.
6. Continued collaboration with the ABCD (Assuring Better Child Development) Workgroup began with the Michigan Chapter of
the American Academy of Pediatrics and the Michigan Department of Community Health to streamline the referral process for
primary care providers.
7. Participated in the MARSE Early Childhood Workgroup to discuss proposed rule changes around using the Individualized Family
Service Plan for those infants and toddlers (birth to 3) that are eligible for Michigan Special Education, June 24th, 2010.
8. Presentations provided on Early On Michigan and Project Find at the following venues:
Early On System Update on April 23, 2010 at the Van Buren Intermediate School District.
Head Start Presentation on May 10th, 2010 in Lansing.
9. Conducted statewide outreach to specific primary referral sources through the provision of the Early On Display at professional
conferences and events:
Developmental Disabilities Conference, East Lansing, April 20th, 2010.
Women, Infants, and Children 2010 Conference, Acme, April 27th, 2010.
2010 Michigan Association of Osteopathic Medicine, Dearborn, May 12th, 2010.
Michigan Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies Conference, Mt. Pleasant, June 3rd, 2010.
The Arc of Michigan Annual Conference 2010, Grand Rapids, June 17th, 2010.
MAASE Summer Institute 2010, Acme, August 8 th, 2010.
The Sandbox Party Convention, East Lansing, August 26 th, 2010.