Ecology 3 energy and ecology ecological pyramids

5,861 views

Published on

Published in: Technology, Education
0 Comments
3 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

No Downloads
Views
Total views
5,861
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
3,938
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
86
Comments
0
Likes
3
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

Ecology 3 energy and ecology ecological pyramids

  1. 1. Productivity of Ecosystems Energy is the currency of ecosystem Most energy is reflected back into space or is absorbed by atmosphere Only about 1% of sun light that reaches producers is captured by photosynthesis Producers convert sun (radiant) E into chemical E that is stored in organic compounds (glucose) This energy captured by producers enables producers to make billions of kg of organic matter (BIOMASS) each year
  2. 2. Primary Productivity Rate at which producers in an ecosystem build biomass Set the energy budget for ecosystem Determines maximum amt of E available to all higher trophic levels in ecosystem We look at “net productivity”  Total amt of organic material produced minus the amount used by the producers themselves
  3. 3. Three Types of PyramidsRepresent Trophic Levels inEcology  Pyramids of Energy  Pyramids of Biomass  Pyramids of Numbers
  4. 4. Pyramid of Energy  Aka food pyramid  Energy flow thru trophic levels  Primary producers covert 1% of energy from sun  Only 10% of energy from one trophic level is passes onto the next  The other 90% is used by the organism to carry out its life processes or it is lost to the environment  So much energy required to maintain an organism  Limited to 3 or 4 steps  Cannot be inverted  Emphasizes E LOSS b/t trophic levels
  5. 5. Energy Pyramid
  6. 6. Pyramid of Biomass  Total dry weight of living tissue at each trophic level  kg of living tissue/ area  Usually follows traditional narrowing form of pyramid  May be inverted  Ex. Aquatic ecosystems  Zooplankton consume phytoplankton very fast that their biomass actually ends up being larger
  7. 7. Biomass Pyramid
  8. 8. Ecological Pyramids ofBiomass
  9. 9. Inverted Biomass Pyramid
  10. 10. Pyramid of Numbers  Show the number of organisms at each trophic level in ecosystem  Producers at the bottom, higher trophic levels above  Not always a perfect pyramid  Exception is when small organisms eat larger one (insects eating a tree)
  11. 11. Pyramid of Numbers vs. BiomassBlue Bluebird bird
  12. 12. LadybirdsArthropods
  13. 13.  Arthropods feed on tiny algae. Sardines feed on tiny arthropods. Dolphins feed on sardines. Antelope feed on grass. Lions feed on antelope. Fleas live on lions and suck their blood. Greenflies feed on rose bush. Ladybirds feed on greenflies. Swallows feed on ladybirds. Zebras feed on long grass. Ticks suck the blood of zebras. Birds sit on the zebras’ backs and eat the ticks.

×