Mobile Technologies in
Eric Demoncheaux, PhD
• Overcoming students' overwhelming concern for
their image, social status, after school activities,
• Getting students to apply what they have learnt.
• Finding a way to get students to apply what they
learn, and to recognize how to apply the lessons.
Preconceptions and Misconceptions
• Science has a kind of built-in curiosity.
• Tackling the misconceptions and preconceptions
leads to student self-correction.
• Install in them the desire to learn more.
Teach students to think beyond the text
• "Teaching Science" means getting students to
• Memorization is necessary to learn the
• To really learn science, and to master it, requires
the development of critical thinking skills.
Memorisation of facts
• Concentrate on memorizing facts.
• Teach students how to use those facts.
You can't look everything up
• You can't put information to good use if you don’t
• Students need to be able to explain things clearly
and completely and accurately to others, in speech
and on paper.
You can lead a horse to water …
• Create a sense of purpose, of direction and future
before you teach.
• You have to have a class of students that have
some willingness to learn, some desire to achieve,
Can technology help?
• Many schools lack adequate facilities for lab work.
• Science could be “done” online with the help of
pre-recorded real experiments and interactive
• Online labs allow to "flip" the science lab.
• Online labs may prove to be cheaper than real labs
• Lots of online resources for Chemistry -
related teaching here:
• The Royal Society of Chemistry has also
released a free app for ipads, iphones and
android phones called Elements of Nutrition.
• Amplify, Spongelab, Edmodo and Educade.
• Edmodo allows locking of the ipads so that
students can’t misuse them during lessons.
• Nearpod allows to make interactive
iPads apps for STEM Education
• https://edshelf.com/search This link takes you
to the edshelf “tools” where collections can
be built based on subject, age of learners,
• ‘Exploriments' has a range of apps for your
high school classes:
• Notability is an app which may be used for
worksheets and submitting work for electronic
More apps …
- Might microbes
- colour test
- motion pics
- google earth
- Lab assisstant
-chemical by design
- circular motion
-Atoms in motion
- Lewis Dots
- The elements
- Hubble site
- Solar walk
- earth viewer
- 3D brain
- Essential Skeleton
- 3D cardiovascular system
-3D Digestive system
Apps for STEM
• CGP has a couple of good apps for revision. One
version is free.
• iCell is great for discovery of cell structures.
• Virtual dissections are fun as each student can get
• Students can also make up their own word
searches on puzzle-maker.
iPADS and its camera functions
• StoMo, free stop motion.
Avoiding the technology is impossible
• iPads in the classroom allow us to move away
from the 'sage on the stage' and can enhance the
learning for everyone.
• Yet, so many apps are 'nice to haves', but not
Support the learning of others
• Taking away i-Pads, or giving them to students to
use, does not make good learners.
• Good learners are developed by:
– an atmosphere that values learning
– a curriculum that provides challenges that can be
satisfied by hard work and commitment.