Q: What did you expect from your MHA?
- a good job in a hospital using my MHA
- an entry level management position
Q: What are you finding in your job
- there are no jobs!
- hospitals are not hiring managers w/o
- there are many applicants for every job;
Q: Where else besides hospitals have you
- really only wanted to work in a hospital;
Q: What is unique about the hospital?
- I can provide help to people that are suffering!
- I can insure quality of care, efficiencies, and
Q: What have learned from this experience?
- maybe the MHA was not a good choice;
- I’ve been advised I should have clinical
- I probably could have been hired in a
supervisory clinical position, at least;
Q: What are your immediate goals now?
- expand my job search out of the state;
- exploring PhD programs;
- exploring clinical degrees;
- she made a mistake getting an MHA;
- the school lacks in advising and helping
in her job search;
- she is angry at the school for promoting a
degree that has little opportunity for
- if she pursues another degree it will be
- the student has too short a time frame -
expects more now;
- she naively expects a management position
w/ no experience;
- she was unaware of the scarcity of jobs;
- she was unaware of the clinical bias;
- she has not explored other h/c jobs like in
large medical practices, o/p clinics, etc.
The very young, well groomed, articulate,
perhaps naive, graduate student needs a
way to be mentored because she has an
unrealistic view of the healthcare industry
and her (expectations of the) MHA degree.