• Applying a process to change a sound form• Commercial uses – Music – Films – Advertising – Games• Approach – Describe main effects – Give some examples
• Distortion• Talk box• Pitch bend• Delay and multi tap delay• Auto tune• Phaser• Temeblo
Creates a “warm”, “dirty”and fuzzy sound bycompressing the peaks ofsound waves and addingovertones.The picture shows a "TurboDistortion" guitar effectpedal made by Bo whichdistorts the sound made bythe guitar into a differenttone of sounds when youpress down on the pedal
Explanation ofJimi Hendrix distortion including audio examples
• A talk box is an effects unit that allows a musician to modify the sound of a musical instrument. The musician controls the modification by lip syncing, or by changing the shape of their mouth.• This picture shows a modern day talk box on its own and a talk box being used.
• A smooth uninterrupted glide in passing from one tone to another, especially with the voice or a bowed stringed instrument.• This electric keyboard contains a pitch bend wheel which changes the pitch much like the way a guitarist bends a string or uses a whammy bar.
• Delay is an audio effect which records an input signal to an audio storage medium, and then plays it back after a period of time. Multitap delayed signal may either be played back multiple times, or played back into the recording again, to create the sound of a repeating, decaying echo.• Here is a picture of a Mac programme that you can use to change the Delay and Multitap delay of an audio file.
• Auto-Tune is a proprietary audio processor created by Antares Audio Technologies. Auto-Tune uses a phase vocoder to correct pitch in vocal and instrumental performances. It is used to disguise off-key inaccuracies and mistakes, and has allowed singers to perform apparently perfectly tuned vocal tracks without needing to sing in tune.• The first picture shows a programme that auto tunes peoples vocals. The second picture shows the X- Factor, if you want a great a example of auto tuning then switch on to X- Factor on Saturday night.
Youtube user makes asong by using words fromdifferent videos on theinternet. This is a greatexample of auto tune butis also an example of talkbox
• A phaser is an audio signal processing technique used to filter a signal by creating a series of peaks and troughs in the frequency spectrum. The position of the peaks and troughs is typically modulated so that they vary over time, creating a sweeping effect. For this purpose, phasers usually include a low- frequency oscillator.• Phasing is a popular effect for electric guitar. The picture shows a Phaser box that would be used with a guitar .
• An imitative sound, as of thunder or an explosion, produced artificially for theatrical purposes, as for a film, play, or radio program. Often used in the plural.• Sound effects are the most commonly used kind of effect in my opinion. You hear them in films, T.V, Games, radios, songs, advertisements etc…
• This video is a great example of the Temeblo effect.• This video shows a group of people making the sound of rain and thunder