What is Iron Sheep?
• The event seeks to mimic the format of
the “Iron Chef” television series by
challenging teams to produce
meaningful analysis and fun, evocative
mash-ups from the same sets of user-
generated, geo-coded data within a
four hour time frame.
• The goal is to provide a semi-structured
environment where participants can
socialize, work and learn in a fun yet
socially meaningful project.
• Participants are drawn from academic,
industry and artistic communities.
Rules of Iron Sheep
• Sheep come in herds, so
work in your group.
• Come up with an entertaining or
interesting question, And answer
it with a geo-visualization.
• Ask a question that will help us
save the world. And answer it with
• Bonus point for the gratuitous use
• A series of visualizations would be
• 60 second lightning presentation
of your visualizations.
– Prizes will be award by voting
Some of the Data Sets
• Crowdsourced frequency of
Pop/Soda/Coke use by points, zip code
• UFO sightings
• Bikeshare useage
• Hometowns of NFL players
• Flickr photos with keyword hippie,
hipster, and redneck
• Amount of data indexed within Google
Maps by census track (NYC) for a range
of search terms such as zombie, aliens
• Number of geocoded tweets by census
• Parking ticket citations for NYC
Respect the Data
• Don’t distribute data
farther than this group.
• Don’t use the data
beyond today. You can
ask the provider of the
data but don’t assume.