Rich Pins: Why Pins Need
to Live Their Best Life
VP of Social Media and Platform Partnerships,
What is About.com?
• Founded in 1996.
• 85 million people visit about.com every
• 1,000 sites featuring Experts on topics
from parenting to technology,
healthcare and cooking.
• Psst.. we’re hiring!
It’s time to think of
Pinterest as the
web’s best visual
Not a helpful
Each pin is an opportunity to sell your content to the
Wow, what is
• Many comments on Pins are not helpful for establishing
• There is no way to control any other metadata around the
• There is little opportunity for media companies to inspire
trust in their content
• So what to do as a media site?
Regular Pins are subject to the whims of regular people
• Pinterest introduced Rich Pins in 2013 to help make pins more useful
• Six kinds of Rich Pins exist:
• Many brands focus on Product pins, but for media, the rest of the
options are an opportunity to own your Pinterest display.
Now I know what site
is this from, that this is
an article and I can
A site-provided meta
description gives me
A site-provided title that
gives me more context!
waypoint allows me to
show where this is in
Why a Rich Pin is Better
About.com Pinterest Traffic After
Rich Pins Implementation
• Learn about Rich Pins markup and validate your site
• Bonus: Most Rich Pin tags use Open Graph tags, so if you’ve built
those in for Facebook, they will work for Pinterest too!
• Add an additional social-friendly title field and write a
• Write good meta descriptions of 200-300 characters with
keywords people are likely to search on Pinterest
• In your articles, add Pinterest friendly photos and resize
them big, and vertical
How you can help Pins live their best life
@matthewknell for questions, hi-fives