AWS Summit Milan - AWS RDS for your data (and your sleep)
1. AWS RDS for your data (and your sleep)
CTO @ Madisoft
Producer of Nuvola
Nuvola is a set of services (delivered as SaaS) to
digitalize and improve Italian school’s processes.
More than 1000 schools
(~ 15% of the market)
● > 2M active users
● > 1000 sql databases & > 500GB of relational data
● ~ 400M SQL queries / day (average)
● from few to ~ 200k sessions in 5 minutes at 8 a.m.
● 1M / week archived documents
Nuvola is a data-driven software
4. Relational data: how to?
● Handle very fast increasing growth
● Handle 400M sql queries / day
● High reliability
● Automatic backups
● Automatic os and db engine patches
● Scale based on traﬃc
● Continuously monitoring
● … add your own spec!
5. Old infrastructure
● 25 Mysql 5.6 instances
● Master - slave replication for high reliability: 50 instances
● Backups on slaves machines.
● Self-made monitoring and patching
It works but it’s fragile, error-prone and require a bunch of sysadmins
to keep it secure, up to date and working properly.
Tons of man hours ($$$)
7. AWS RDS
● 12 MySQL 5.7 M4.large instances
● Multi AZ
● Rich API & Ansible as conﬁguration management tool
● Automatic snapshots & backups
● Integrated monitoring and patching
● Easy to update (single click from to MySQL 5.6 to 5.7)
How did we migrate?
It took ~ 50 minutes!
10. AWS RDS
● Db infrastructure a lot more reliable and eﬃcient
● Everything automated
● Saved tons of man hours ($$$ and sleep hours)
Current and future steps
● Auto-scaling to better ﬁt consumptions to real needs
● Give Aurora a try and do some benchmarks vs RDS MySQL