NATSIHEC Project Forum | 30 June 2016
Accelerating Indigenous Higher Education
Priority Lead Budget
STEM outcomes UniSA* $75k
Workforce CDU $75k
Whole-of-University UoN $75k
Project management** UniSA $110k
* As at June 2016
** includes data collection & roundtable venue costs
1.What's the (available) evidence telling us?
2.What gaps exist in data and evidence?
3.Where are successful programs currently operating?
4.What are their success factors, can they be replicated?
5.What are barriers - how can their effects be minimised?
6.What are top priorities for reform - short/long term?
7.What are influential policy drivers after 2016?
8.What are connections between the 3 priorities?
9.2017 strategies: What, how, who, when, $ required?
10.Future monitoring - what are indicators of success?
11.How to use project findings to influence reform?
Confirm project scope March
Stakeholder engagement strategy July
Progress report on evidence August
Discussion paper with key propositions September
Concurrent round table forums October 13-14
Consultation on forum resolutions November
Report and recommendations December
• Identify effective policies and strategies to increase
enrolments, participation and completion of Indigenous
people in STEM-related higher education studies.
• The scope of studies will include Natural and Physical
Sciences, Engineering, and Information Technology – but
also underpinning quantitative skills required for studies
such as Management and Commerce, Health and
• Identify strategies to increase the recruitment
and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait
Islander staff in Australian universities.
• Provide a definition and principles that will
provide clarity and transparency for a national
approach to Whole-of University initiatives in
Indigenous higher education.
Day 1: 13 October
Plenary [10am start]
STEM Workforce WoU
Day 2: 14 October
Plenary: Day 1 recap
STEM actions Workforce actions WoU actions
Plenary – project resolutions [depart 4 pm]
Actions to progress project priorities
1. Confirm each project team and governance
2. Evidence base – analyse hard data and qualitative research
3. Progress on previous policy recommendations
4. 2017 policy environment changes
5. Models of good practice to showcase?
6. Forum – delegates to invite, speakers, format
7. Initial strategic priorities for action