Successfully reported this slideshow.
You’ve unlocked unlimited downloads on SlideShare!
organizations end up
Leaders need managers and managers need leaders. It’s a
matter of context
1. Leaders drive change.
2. Managers require stability to deliver results reliably.
Chaotic organizations need management.
Stagnant organizations need leadership.
“Failing organizations are usually over-managed
–Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Author of The Little Price
“If you want to build a ship, don’t drum up the
people to gather wood, divide work, and give
Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and
Control can be Important
• In Emergency
• When someone is still learning this area, take time to learn the context
• When you have wrong person in a role, temporary
–Netﬂix’s Freedom and Responsibility
“thrive on freedom, and worthy of freedom”
“Great workplace is Stunning colleagues”
The How-To: Building (And Managing) A Team For Your
1. Training: Explain, Train, Keep Doing It
2. Understanding personalities
3. Delegate: learn to let go, and trust
4. Learn to be persuasive
5. Be polite, compassionate, and never condescending
“Management positions in startup companies
should be ﬁlled by those who can set an example
and clear expectations for others, have a positive
work ethos, are selﬂess in nature and can inspire
those around them”
“Excellence is an art won by training and