Denis Wick Product Training
I. Mouthpiece Features and Benefits
II. Understanding The Mute
Indiana Jones: trumpet solos
Star Wars: Opening movie trumpet
Star Wars: Darth Vader Theme
Indiana Jones: Raiders of the Lost Ark
London Symphony Orchestra
Embouchure: Mouth Position to focus
Aperture: Lip Position for released
Mouthpiece: Placed against the
face to facilitate maximum
Vibration = Sound
The goal of the relationship between the performer (air, embouchure, aperture) and
mouthpiece is maximum vibration.
AIR + = SOUND+
Vibration Translate sound to
A brass instrument no matter what the size, the
quality, the cost, is an over-glorified megaphone.
It just magnifies the sound produced by the
Why is the Mouthpiece Important?
The part of the mouthpiece that comes into contact
with the players face.
Affects the area of vibrating lip supported by the
The cup is the resonating chamber of the mouthpiece.
It’s volume will affect the sound it translates to the
Affects the air as it enters the mouthpiece. The
Throat is the first place the air passes through after
exiting the vibrating lips.
Affects the air as it exits the mouthpiece into the
The funnel cup must be proportional to the funnel throat.
The mouthpiece Rim, Cup Diameter, Cup Depth, Backbore, and Throat
all have specific measurements that must be proportional to each other.
Imagine that you have 2 gallons of water that need to flow through a funnel.
Use a stock backbore and throat. Mouthpiece size relates only to the
cup diameter and volume.
This creates a disproportion between the measurements
May stifle the sound and create more work for the performer.
The Denis Wick Difference
Measurements and sizing designed to proportionally
compliment each other
Offers a wide variety of “support options” that do not
sacrifice tone production
Superior sound production, tuning, facility
The Denis Wick Difference
Classic Heavytop Heritage
American Classic PaxmanMaurice Murphy Steven Mead/Ultra
Tuba (2-tone & silver)
Trumpet Trumpet Baritone/ Euphonium French Horn
Comparisons: What’s the Difference?
• Thinned upper walls and rim/ mass placed in
base of cup
• Focused sound with easy articulation and
• Great for classical/orchestral players
• Mass added all around
• Aids in extreme focus to sound
• Great for marching band and
• Classic weight distribution
• Great for all types of playing
Backbore: The backbore affects the air as it exits the mouthpiece.
There are three main types of backbore contours:
• V-Shape: faster exit into the instrument and creates a
brighter, more focused sound.
• Barrel: most open of the three designs, resulting in a
less direct air flow and freer blowing mouthpiece.
• V-barrel: air flows slightly less directly than a V-type
which offers a slightly less bright tone.
Rim: Mouthpiece rims are characterized as rounded or flat.
Translating Customer Complaints
My mouthpiece is
uncomfortable.• Cutting into lip
• Slides off my embouchure
• I want more flexibility
• I have response issues
• Flat Rim – More comfort
• Rounded Rim – More flexibility
• Large Diameter– More Flexibility
• Small Diameter– More Support
• My Sound is too bright/dark.
• I want to play higher/lower notes.
• Deeper Cup – Darker Sound/low
• Shallow Cup - Brighter Sound/high
• My mouthpiece is stuffy.
• I want better projection.
• Larger Throat – More Open
• Backbore – V-type Barrel will offer
5182A-7C or 5c, 5882-4B
Sound Production Darker Tone/ Projection Brighter Tone/ Projection/ Range
Denis Wick mutes are constructed to encourage optimum sound production
through sensitivity to the function of a mute and it’s relationship to it’s
Denis Wick began creating mutes a year after he produced his first
• Sound emits through the instrument bell
• The mute manipulates and retransmit the sound
through the mute.
• Various materials and shapes are used to create
many different manipulations.
There are two criteria that separate the good from the bad: Tone Color and Intonation.
• Mutes are hand made/hand spun
using high purity aluminum
• Measured to strict standards to
provide excellent intonation and
• Premium all natural cork to ensure a
proper fit and long life.
• The hand-spinning process hardens the metal
and gives Denis Wick mutes their unique tone
color while preserving perfect intonation
• Superior intonation is trademark for Denis Wick
Tone Color Intonation
Straight Mutes Adjustable Cup Extending Tube
Practice Mute Travel Mute
Guiding your customers to make choices that will prolong their
You do not need to teach them good sound but you can focus them on good
Denis Wick precision results in products that do not perform well by chance, but
provide peak performance by design.