Are you satisfied with your overall
If not, you aren’t alone!
• If we agree growth is critical, the next question we have to
address is, why do companies have such difficulty adding
new and profitable business? In my nearly 40 years of
experience I’ve learned there are numerous reasons. In fact
I published an eBook, “The Top 11 Barriers to Business
Development. You can get a free copy by clicking on the
Let’s start with agreeing that all businesses need to grow. If
you aren’t growing, adding new customers and new products
and services you’re dying. The markets and customers today
are changing too rapidly for any business to be stagnant.
My experience, from working with small and mid-sized
businesses, has taught me that few have a repeatable
process for business development.
For many, BD is a marketing and sales function, and in
the worst cases a sales only function.
Too many isolate sales and marketing activity from the
balance of the organization.
Real business development doesn’t just grow the top line
it builds value for stakeholders.
Repeatable business development requires a process
and clear strategy.
There is a process for repeatable business development and growth
Vision It’s not a flowery statement!
• If you can’t articulate your vision clearly how are your employees
supposed to be engaged and excited about it?
• You will need to decide and document:
Where you want to go
What markets and products or services you’ll provide
What you WON’T do
How you’ll measure success
• Deliverable - your target that everything else you do is
Take the time to develop a clear direction for your business tied
to your personal goals. (after all that’s why you’re in business
S.W.O.T. Where are you now?
If you think that’s obvious, you haven’t looked hard enough!
• You will be required to defend all of your assumptions.
• Deliverable - Critical goals to get you on the road to
Unique Value Proposition
• Business development begins and ends with the value you provide to
your customer. If you can’t define it, you’re seen in their eyes as the
same as everyone else. If you’re the same as everyone else you
compete on price.
• There is a lot of information aimed at your customers, you have to rise
above the noise! To do that you have to have something interesting to
say and be consistent in delivery.
• You cannot have a compelling marketing message, or an effective
sales presentation as a “me too”!
• Deliverable- The core of your future marketing and
Your UVP is the core of your marketing and sales strategy. To learn more
get a copy of our free eBook, “How to differentiate your company from 95%
of your competition” Click here
Business Development Plan
Define your ideal buyer
• What are their specific needs?
• How you’ll meet those needs better than your competition
• Your lead generation strategy
• Your marketing plan, how you’ll reach them
• Website evaluation and inbound marketing strategy. (make your
website an active part of BD)
• Your tactical sales plan
• Your investment strategy (CapEx and human resources to support
• Your key performance indicators
After addressing your internal operations, and
your external competition and markets,
you are now ready for your business
All plans are useless without execution.
• We will review key indicators on a regular basis
Critical goal attainment
Shifts in market or customer trends requiring adjustment
• Deliverable- Accountability, results.
We use an anonymous web based survey tool to evaluate your
company. We use this as a roadmap to prioritize and address your
We will introduce you to and demo marketing software that you can
use to automate lead generation activities.
• Deliverables- Honest non-threatening feedback, and
Want to learn more?
Measurable Results LLC