Did Google Lower Wikipedia Rankings to Favor Google?
BY ERIC ENGE ❖ STONETEMPLE.COM
traffic loss from
1. How often does wikipedia appear on Google page
1 and at what positions?
2. Does Wikipedia still do well in Google serps?
3. For what types of queries does wikipedia perform
4. Does Google favor its own properties over
• Moz: 165K commercial queries
• Stone Temple:182K info queries (sampled in April,
Note gap at positions1 and 2
between April & August data.
That's when wikipedia’s
Google traffic fell.
4. HOW DID GOOGLE URLS DO
IN COMPARISON TO
Google properties do well
in our query sets,
but not quite as well
as wikipedia,even now
Note that Google does better
with info queries than commercial,
the opposite of Wikipedia
5. HOW DO DIFFERENT GOOGLE
IN THE SERPS?
• Wikipedia did slip some in rankings
• Wikipedia performs better for commercial than info
• Wikipedia shows for more queries than do google
• Google properties perform better for info than
A prominent SEO and digital marketing industry thought
leader, Eric has been an entrepreneur for most of his
30+ year career. He is the lead author of the book The
Art of SEO; a columnist and contributor to publications
such as Search Engine Land, Moz, Forbes, Copyblogger,
Marketing Land, and Social Media Today; and a regular
speaker at industry conferences such as Search
Marketing Expo, Pubcon, ClickZ Live, and many others.
Eric is known for the publication of groundbreaking
studies, and interviews of other industry notables such
as Google’s Gary Illyes, Matt Cutts, and Bing’s Duane