WHAT IS BITCOIN …?
• Is it a Commodity, Currency or Technology …?
• For this presentation - it is all about FREEDOM
• When referring to Bitcoin in this presentation,
I am referring to decentralized trust …
(aka The Block-Chain)
• Public ledgers enforcing transparency …
• But won’t, under ANY circumstances talk politics!
EXCEPT THIS – FROM VISUAL GUIDE TO CYPRO-CURRENCIES
( the final straw )
But seriously, no politics!
( just technicalities – and google )
70 times as good as its not!
( and it seems I am not alone in thinking so )
Bitcoin will do to banks what
email did to the postal industry
-- Rick Falkvinge (Swedish Politician)
Bitcoin is a techno tour de force
-- Bill Gates (Redistributed BASIC)
DO WE NOT ALREADY HAVE PROGRAMMABLE MONEY?
• Square, Stripe, V.me, Simple, etc …
• Only available to developers in States / Europe
• Local alternatives are complicated, costly & useless
• No options for instant starts …
• No options for anonymity or the billions of us unbanked
• And this makes me angrier than I am with most things
A DEVELOPER WITHOUT CHOICE IS AN UNHAPPY DEVELOPER
BITCOIN TECHNOLOGY STACK
• Uses LevelDB to access (via JSON) a globally
distributed public ledger of all transactions
• Send and receive payments instantly and directly via
JSON-RPC calls from any server-side language …
• Existing wrappers, frameworks, documentation,
libraries and support for PHP, Ruby, NodeJS
• Still in Beta (0.8) with Market Cap of US$2 Billion
• Version 0.9 to bring payment requests and receipts!
WHY IS IT PROGRAMMABLE …?
• An open API available to anyone
• Where transaction fees and identification are optional
• All the underlying technologies are OpenSource
• No central authority to prevent innovation
• Easily accessible, always-on and always neutral
• It can be easily embedded into hardware, such as …
THE BITCOIN AND RASPBERRY PI POWERED POOL TABLE
RASPBERRY PI POWERED PAPER WALLET PRINTER
BITCOIN AS THE PAYMENT PROTCOL OF THE WEB
• Being open and programmable is one thing…
• Being something that is not email-based in trust is another…
• As a web-based technology, it is a server waiting for JSON-RPC
requests with simple functions (example in PHP) such as:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------$fbi_address = ‘1F1tAaz5x1HUXrCNLbtMDqcw6o5GNn4xqX’;
$transaction_id = $api->btc(array(
Crypto-Currencies are decentralized
payment APIs for the web, available to
anyone with internet, no questions asked
( perfect for content pay-walls – ask me after )