Be the first to like this
In December 2015 Optus commissioned McCrindle Research to conduct research into the attitudes, behaviours, and technology trends of Australian renters. This report provides a brief top-line overview of the key findings of the Renter of the Future study.
Renter of the Future: A snapshot of the sentiment, attitudes, and behaviours of Australian renters is the collation of data gained through a quantitative survey launched to a national panel of Australians who are renting. This survey was in field from 2nd December to 7th December, yielding 1,007 completed responses across Australia’s capital city and major city areas.
Choice Renters versus Forced Renters
3 in 10 Australian renters (30%) choose to rent because of the lifestyle, regardless of whether they can buy or not.
Throughout this report, the 70% of Australian renters who selected that they are ‘forced to rent’ are called Forced Renters, and the remaining 30% are called Choice Renters.
Technology purchase behaviour
1 in 7 (14%) keep up to date with the latest technology and usually have the latest model.
A further 3 in 10 (30%) are somewhat aware of technology improvements and will get the latest model where possible.
Those either keep up to date with the latest technology or are somewhat aware of technology improvements are defined as Early Adopters with the rest being defined as Convenience Adopters.
Stability Renters versus Flexibility Renters
Stability Renters are those who prefer to live in the same place for as long as they can or prefer staying in the same place for a while but are open to moving when convenience requires it. Those in the other two categories are defined as Flexibility Renters.
Australians prefer stability (first two options; 73%) over flexibility (latter two options; 27%) with almost 2 in 5 (37%) preferring to live in the same place as long as they can.
Location versus the home itself
The location and area matter more than the building and home itself to 3 in 5 Australian renters (60%) with the remaining 2 in 5 (40%) indicating that the building and home itself matter more than the location and area.
In the past 12 months almost 3 in 5 (58%) respondents had contacted someone to make repairs at least once, almost 3 in 10 (29%) had played loud music that neighbours could hear and more than half (52%) had ordered takeaway online.