Isaac Karimi cv updated.docx - iAMscientist: Turn discoveries into ...
College of Veterinary Medicine
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com
Marital status: Married
Persian: Mother language
Place of birth: Iran
College of Veterinary Medicine in Shahr-e-kord University Doctor of
Veterinary Medicine (DVM) (1998-2004)
College of Veterinary Medicine in Urmia University Doctor of
Veterinary Sciences (DVSc): Expert of Physiology (2004-2008)
DVM: The assessment of the efficacy of progesterone during day's 3-5
post insemination on pregnancy rate in dairy cows.
DVSc (Ph.D.): Effects of Cannabis sativa L. seed on serum lipids,
lipoproteins and apolipoproteins of Wistar rats.
1. Medical Terminology in Shahrekord University (2000)
2. Biochemistry courses through the "Classmate Programme" in
Shahrekord University (2000)
3. English courses in Kish Institute of Urmia (2005)
4. Physiology courses for veterinary and nurse students in Urmia
Islamic Azad University (2006)
5. Physiology courses for veterinary student in College of veterinary
medicine, Razi University
6. Biochemistry courses for veterinary student in College of
veterinary medicine, Razi University
7. Hematology courses for veterinary student in College of veterinary
medicine, Razi University
8. Laboratory animal medicine for veterinary student in College of
veterinary medicine, Razi University
1. Setting up of enzymology lab in Artemia and Aquatic Animals
Research Institute, Urmia University
2. Setting up of behavior (psychopharmacology) lab in Physiology
Department of Veterinary College of Urmia University
3. Preparing of Animal and Surgery House in Bioscience and
Biotechnology Research Center of Urmia University
4. Setting up of the rumen protistology in College of Veterinary
Medicine, Razi University, Kermanshah, Iran.
5. Setting up of nutritional neuroscience lab in in College of
Veterinary Medicine, Razi University, Kermanshah, Iran.
6. I am familiar with Electrophoresis, HPLC, TLC, GC, PCR, Western
Blotting, Enzyme kinetics, Laboratory and farm animal surgery,
7. I am familiar with all in vivo electrophysiology such as field
potential, unicellular and patch clamp recordings.
1. Member of Iranian Philosophy and Theosophy Society
2. Member of International Endocannabinoid Research Society
3. Member of SciLink group: http://www.scilink.com
4. Member of World Veterinary Association
5. Member of Iranian Society of Physiology and Pharmacology
6. Member of Advisory Board of EuroMDnet:
1. What are the major pathways of xenobiotic metabolism in our
body (Shahrekord Uni)
2. Crimean-Congo hemorrhagic fever outbreak during wool
trimming in sheep (Shahrekord Uni)
3. Biochemical principles of fluid therapy in animals (Shahrekord
4. Role of endocannabinoid system in diabesity and plurimetabolic
syndrome (Urmia Uni)
5. From cannabis to cannabinergic system: Developmental biology
6. Interaction of endocannabinoid and histaminergic systems in
memory and learning (Urmia Uni)
7. Marijuana and emesis: New generation of antiemetics in
chemotherapy-induced emesis (Urmia Uni)
8. Xenoestrogens act as endocrine disruptors (Urmia Uni)
9. Nocebo and placebo neuroendocrinology (Urmia Uni)
10.Anti-inflammatory drugs: friend or foe (Urmia Uni)
11.Addiction and plasticity: Psychobiological approach (Urmia Uni)
12.Orthodox versus Traditional medicine in diabesity (Urmia Uni)
13.Review of G-proteins, G-protein coupled receptors and their
signaling (Ahvaz Uni)
14.Endocannabinoid system in veterinary medicine: past, present
and future (Tabriz Uni)
15.The role of Tachykinins as old neurotransmitters from frog to
human (Urmia Uni)
16.Endocannabinoid system as an emerging target of
pharmacotherapy (Razi Uni)
17.Nootropics in Traditional and Orthodox Medicines: Minireview
1. Karimi, I and H Hayatghaibi, 2006. Effect of Cannabis sativa L.
seed (hempseed) on lipid and protein profiles of rat. Paki. J.
2. Hayatghaybi, H and I Karimi, 2007. Hypercholesterolemic effect
of drug-type Cannabis sativa L. seed (marijuana seed) in guinea
pig. Paki. J. Nutr. 6(1):56-59.
3. Karimi, I, Hayatghaibi, H,Yousofi J, Saberivand A, Zavareh S,
2007. Effects of nondrug type Cannabis sativa L. (hempseed) on
hematological parameters in guinea pig. J. Cardiova. Hemato. Dis
-Drug Targets. 7(4):288-290.
4. Karimi, I, Yousofi M and H Hayatghaibi, 2007. Effects of
isfahanian variety of Cannabis sativa L.) on lipoprotein profile of
male rats. Iran. J. Endocri. Metabol., 9(4):423-427.
5. A. Moghaddam, I. Karimi and M. Pooyanmehr (2009). Effects of
short-term cooling on pregnancy rate of dairy heifers under
summer heat stress. Veterinary Research Communications.
6. J. Talebi, M. Souri, A. Moghaddam, I. Karimi (2009).
Characteristics and seasonal variation in the semen of Markhoz
goat bucks in western Iran. Small Ruminant Research 85(1). 18-
7. Chalechaleh A, Bahiraei A, I. Karimi (2009). Slaughter-based
survey of gastrointestinal helminth parasite infestation in sheep
in Kermanshah district. Pazhohesh va Sazandegi Journal
8. Adel Saberivand, Isaac Karimi, Lora A. Becker, Saeed Azizi-
Mahmoodjigh, Aliasghar Moghaddan, Mάsume Yousofi, Saeed
Zavareh (2009). The effects of hempseed on the ovariectomized
rat model of menopause. Methods Find Exp Clin Pharmacol
9. Chalechale A, Karimi I. (2010). Retrospective study of the
prevalence of Trichomonas vaginalis infection among women of
Kermanshah district, Iran during 2006-2007. Turkish journal of
medical sciences (in press)
10.Isaac Karimi, Farzaneh Noori, Naser Agh, Aliasghar Moghaddam,
Abdolali Chalechale, Másume Yousefi, Amir Dadyan (2010).
Distribution of lipase activity in tissues of rainbow trout
(Oncorhynchus mykiss). Journal of Applied Biological Sciences
11.Hayatgheybi H, Karimi I, Dadyan A, Hadipour MM (2010). Anti-
hyperlipidaemic effects of an essential oil of Melissa officinalis. L
in cholesterol-fed rabbits. Journal of Applied Biological Sciences
12.Karimi, I, Yousefi J, Ghashghaeii A, 2010. Ocular toxicity caused
by euphorbia sap. Iran. J. Pharma. Therapeutics. (in press).
13.Karimi I, Yousofi M, Saberivand, A. Becker L, Moghaddam A
(2010) The effects of Cannabis sativa L. seed (hemp seed) on
reproductive and neurobehavioral end points in rats.
Developmental Psychobiology Journal (under review).
14. Ali Mikaeili, Isaac Karimi, Tanaz Bakhtiari (2010). The
preliminary study on the contamination of warehouse-stored
pistachios to aflatoxinogenic fungi in Kermanshah, Iran: the tip
of the iceberg. Turkish Journal of Biology (submitted).
15.Isaac Karimi, Behruz Sohrabi, Abdolali Chalechale, Aliasghar
Moghaddam, Hussein Mohammadi, Amir Dadyan, Reza Ali
Rahmati Asl, Másume Yousefi. Effects of tail shaving on milk
quality and udder cleanliness in a dairy farm. Journal of
Animal and Veterinary Advances (submitted).
16.I. Karimi, A. Chalechale, A. Bahiraie & M. Azadbakht: Larvae of
Taenia taeniaeformis in the hepatobiliary system of Mus
musculus. The Internet Journal of Parasitic Diseases. 2009
Volume 4 Number 1.
1. Emadi A, Yekta M, I Karimi. Serological evaluation of avian
influenza in broilers of Chahar Mahal Province of Iran. The
First Scientific Seminar of Veterinary Medical Students of Islamic
Azad University, Iran, May 2001(in Persian)
2. Shahbazkia H, I Karimi. The role of leptin in metabolic and
reproductive controls in livestock. The 1st Congress (Manuscript
in Preparation) of Iranian Veterinary Laboratory Science
Student, Iran, 24-26 Jul.2004 (in Persian)
3. Hayatghaibi H, Karimi I, Yousefy M, Yousefi J and H Islami.
Effects of hempseed powder (Isfahanian variety) on serum lipid
profile of male rat. 2nd International Conference of Biology, Iran,
4. Karimi I, Hayatghaybi H, Aminkhah S, A Abdolazimzadeh.
Effects of hempseed powder (Khorasan variety) on serum lipid
profile of female rat. 14th national Conference of biology, Iran,
August 2006 (in Persian).
5. Abdolazimzadeh A, Hayatghaybi H, Karimi I, S Aminkhah.
Hempseed and serum protein profile of rat. 14th national
Conference of biology, Iran, August 2006. (in Persian)
6. Karimi I, Zavareh S, Pourtaheri SH, M Pak. Effect of oxytocin on
learning and memory in object recognition task in female rats.
The 5th Veterinary Clinical Congress, Ahvaz, Feb 2007 (in
7. Hayatgheybi H, Karimi I, M Yousofi. Fatty acid content of
Cannabis sativa L. seed (hemp seed) cultivated in Khorasan
province of Iran: Friend or Foe. The 9th Congress of Iranian
Biochemistry & the 2nd International Congress of Biochemistry
and Molecular Biology, Shiraz. Iran, Oct 29, Nov, 1, 2007.
8. Karimi I, Hayatgheybi H, Yousofi M, Islami I, Bakhtyarkia S, D
Naseri. Does preoperative nutrition alter anesthesia profile? An
involvement of marijuana seed in guinea pigs. 2nd International
Symposium of Veterinary Surgery (ISVS) & 7th Iranian
Symposium of Veterinary Surgery Anesthesia and Radiology
(ISVSAR), April, 21-24, 2008, Kerman, IRAN.
9. Karimi I, M.R. Shoelepash, M. Yousofi, N. Agh. (2009).
Characterization of fatty acid composition of black cumin
(Nigella sativa L.) seed cultivated in Southern Khorasan province
of Iran: friend or foe. 1st International Congress of Food Hygiene;
Tehran, Iran; 25-26.
10. Karimi I, M.R. Shoelepash, M. Yousofi, (2009). The role of
drought on possible epizootic outbreak of metabolic diseases and
preventive strategies against it. National Exhibition of Bovine
Nutrition and Metabolic Diseases, Birjand, Southern Khorasan
province of Iran (in Persian).
11. Karimi I, A Dadian, A Moghaddam, A Chalechale, M Yousofi, M
Rahmatiasl (2009). Effect of tail shaving on milk quality and
subclinical mastitis. High productive dairy cattle symposium,
Shiraz University (in Persian)
12. Zakari I, S. Azizi Mahmoodjigh, I. Karimi (2009). Effect of the
omentoplasty on psychophysiological recovery after experimental
sciatic nerve crush injury in rats: verifying of novel in vivo
rapid test. 19th Iranian Congress of Physiology & Pharmacology,
13. Chalechale A, Karimi I (2009). Antiparasitic remedies in
Kurdish ethnopharmacology: a neglected treasure trove. 5th
International Joint Conference of Agricultural Sciences, Saint
Petersburg, 8-9 October 2009, Russia (accepted orally)
14. Karimi* I, Zavarreh S, Becker L, Saberivand A, Azizi-
Mahmoodjigh S (2009). The effects of hempseed on metabolic and
psychophysiologic profiles of ovariectomized rat model of
menopause. The 8th International Congress of Endocrine
Disorders” together with the 2nd Arab & Iranian Congress of
Endocrinology and Diabetes and the 2nd Iranian Congress on
Prevention and Management of Obesity (accepted orally)
15. Ranjbar F, Karimi I (2010). Pharmacognosy of anticonvulsant
and antiepileptic remedies in Kurdish ethnomedicine:
Minireview. The First Scientific Seminar of Application of
Medicinal Plants, Ahvaz University, Iran. Code:8811 (in
16. Moatamedi S, Karimi I (2010). Ethnopharmacological survey of
analgesic and anti-inflammatory remedies in Isfahan, Iran. The
First Scientific Seminar of Application of Medicinal Plants,
Ahvaz University, Iran. Code:8648 (in Persian: oral)
17. Fathi M, Karimi I, Amirian M, Olfati S (2010). Phytochemical
aanalysis of Oak as a functional food in Kurdish ethnomedicine.
The First Scientific Seminar of Application of Medicinal Plants,
Ahvaz University, Iran. Code: 1464 (in Persian: poster)
18. Isaac Karimi, Azadeh Karimi, Másume Yousefi (2010). Reference
intervals of serum lipid profile and atherogenic index of
sampled population in Kermanshah, Iran.
19. Isaac Karimi, Seyed Hassan Pourtaheri (2010). Hempseed is an
adoptogen! 17th International Congress of Neurology & Clinical
Electrophisiology of Iran (accepted).
20. Isaac Karimi, Seyed Hassan Pourtaheri, Másume Yousofi, Ali
Jalili, Maziar Fathi (2010). Maternal intake of hempseed as a
“junk nut” did not alter stress, depression, and psychomotor
profiles in rat offspring at post-weaning. 15th seminar of Iranian
pharmacy students, Kerman, Iran (submitted)
21. Isaac Karimi, Aliasghar Moghaddam, Sirous Bahadori, Daryoush
Komazani (2010). Effect of in ovo injection royal jelly on
hatchability outcomes in broiler chickens. EAAP, Greece
22. Aliasghar Moghaddam, Isaac Karimi, Sirous Bahadori, Daryoush
Komazani (2010). Effect of Royal Jelly Injection in Hy-line Eggs
on Embryonic Growth, Hatchability and Gonadotropin Level of
Chicks: Double-sided sword. EAAP, Greece (accepted)
23. Abdolali Chalechale, Isaac Karimi (2010). Larvae of Taenia
taeniaeformis in the hepatobiliary system of Mus musculus in
Kermanshah province, Iran: The tip of the iceberg!
Manuscript in preparation:
1. Karimi I, Hayatghaibi H, Malekineghad H, Yousofi M. The effects
of Cannabis sativa L. on lipid, lipoprotein, apolipoprotein and
antioxidant profiles of mature rats. In prep - to be submitted to
2. Saberivand A, Karimi I, Azizi MJS, Yousofi M, Zavareh S. The
effects of black seed (Nigella sativa L.) on hormonal profile and
spermatogenesis in juvenile rats. In prep - to be submitted to
3. Moghaddam A, Karimi I. The steroid hormone profile of Markhoz
doe throughout estrous cycle and gestation period. In prep - to be
submitted to Animal Reproduction Journal.
4. Chalechale A, Karimi I. Monthly variation of Giardiasis in
Kermanshah district, Iran during 2006-2007: A retrospective
study. In prep - to be submitted to Open journal of parasitology.
5. Hussein Hayatgheybi, Isaac Karimi. Dose and time-dependent
hyperlipidemic effect of Salix aegyptiaca in cholesterol-fed
Student's theses and projects
1. Ethnopharmacology and Ethnomedicine of Ghasr-e-Shirin
district, Kermanshah, Iran. MS project
2. Antiparasitic remedies in Kurdish ethnopharmacology: a
neglected treasure trove
3. The application of geographical information system (GIS) and
spatial analysis in veterinary science.
4. An attempt to revive and document Iranian ethnoveterinary
medicine: From shepherds mind to neglected textbooks.
5. The comparison of nutrient values of hempseed and oak fruit as
two popular nuts among Kurdish tribes in Kermanshah: food
6. Reference interval of bilirubin level in inhabitants of
Kermanshah province of Iran.
7. Reference interval of lipid profile in inhabitants of Kermanshah
province of Iran.
8. Roles of probiotics in normal and abnormal physiology.
9. Craniomorphological, craniomorphometrical and stereotoxic
studies of the skulls of two Iran native sheep breeds: Sanjabi vs.
10. What is oxidative stress?
11. The effects of hempseed oil on CCl-4 induced hepatotoxicity in
male adult rats.
12. The effects of pomegranate on CCl-4 and paracetamol-induced
hepatotoxicity in male adult rats.
13. Evaluation of decoction of Astragalus verus Olivier. against
clinical isolates of Trichophyton verrucosum: in vitro and in guinea
14. The effects of pomegranate on cyclophosphamide-induced
testicular toxicity: Biochemical and psychological investigation.
15. Is Tharkhina as a traditional food in Kurdistan ethnomedicine,
a functional food? Immunopsychophysiological view.
16. The effects of aerial parts of Astragalus verrus against Candidia
albicans both in vitro and in guinea pig model of candidiasis
17. The measurement of reference intervals of lipid and lipoprotein
profiles and its association with morphometric indices in Kalkohi
18. Reference interval of lipid profile in Markhoz goat, an
indigenous Iranian breed.
19. Craniomorphological study of the skulls of Iranian water buffalo
20. The biolochemical and psychopharmacological effects of
Aquilaria sinensis in rats
21. Neuroeconomics of food hoarding in rats after several
22. The psychophysiology and lipid profile of handicapped rats
23. Dose and time-dependent hyperlipidemic effect of Salix
aegyptiaca in normal rabbits.
24. Effect of Alfalfa Extract (Polysavone) on Lead Toxicity in Broiler
1. Dysregulation of the endocrine system can occur in various ways
and physiologically during aging. The human ovaries become
unresponsive to gonadotropins with advancing age, and their
function declines, so that sexual cycles disappear (menopause). I
and our colleagues; Dr Saberivand (Molecular Theriogenologist),
Dr Zavareh (Veterinary Theriogenologist) and Dr Azizi (Animal
Surgeon) were motivated to evaluate the effect of phytoesterogens
and high fat diets on ovariectomized rats: animal model of
menopause. We hypothesized that feeding ovariectomized rat with
high- fat diet and nuts that contain phytoestrogen would increase
circulating 17 beta estradiol (E2) levels. The oil contained in
hempseed is 75-80% polyunsaturated fatty acids: PUFAs.
Arachidonic acid (a metabolite of n-6 PUFA) also can increase
aromatization of androstenedione to estrone via prostaglandin
E2-induced activation of P450 aromatase. Recently our team
concentrated to compare the effects of soybean and hempseed in
preventing of metabolic and psychic symptoms of menopause.
2. The supply of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs) is important
for optimal fetal and postnatal development. In the present project,
I and my coworkers: Drs Saberivand and Yousofi evaluate the
effect of maternal dietary intake of hempseed, the rich source of
(n-3), (n-6) PUFA and phytoestrogen, on the leptin content in rat
milk, serum leptin levels in suckling pups, sex ratio, postnatal
physiological growth indices in pups, neurobehavioral and
reproductive end points, mammary gland development, puberty
onset, immunotoxicity tests and breast cancer risk among female
3. Larvae of marine fish are very immature at hatching and
undergo major developmental changes over several weeks. In
particular, the switch from endogenous to exogenous feeding is
concomitant with morphology and functionality transformations
of the digestive tract. The influence of diet on enzymatic
regulation during postnatal development has been widely
demonstrated for many species. I and my coworker Dr Noori (Fish
physiologist) were setting up enzymological assay for digestive
enzymes such as trypsin, chymotrypsin, lipase, amylase, and the
chief hormone CCK in the GI system of salmon and other Persian
varieties of fish following different diet formulae. Our goal is to
introduce the most suitable diets for different stages of growth of
4. The rumen is populated with many types of micro-organisms,
which degrade and ferment the feed eaten by the animal.
However, from a production point of view, not all the micro-
organisms present in the rumen are essential or provide efficient
conversion of feed to protein1. Many studies have shown that if
protozoa are removed from the rumen, a process known as
defaunation, wool growth can be increased due to increased
microbial protein outflow to the small intestine. However,
successful defaunation methods can be laborious and impractical
in normal animal husbandry settings and chemical-based
methods can be detrimental to animal health. I and my colleague;
Dr Abdolali Chalechale (Parasitologist), in collaboration with the
most prominent scientist Prof Dehority from Ohio university were
motivated to characterize fauna of protozoa in Iranian breeds of
sheep and goats because we sense their meager in current
literature of protistology.
5. My special interest is studying in the field of translational
physiology. The theme of translational physiology is defined as
the interacting contributions of clinical and laboratory research
in advancing the understanding of normal and pathological
physiology. The idea is to take a research program from ‘‘bench to
bedside’’, an area that is receiving increasing support. This area
enable us to produce animal models for human and animal
diseases such as menopause, diabetes mellitus, hypertension,
metabolic syndrome, obesity, MS, epilepsy, addiction … and
knockout animals. I have produced four animal models:
Andropause, Menopause, DM and Diet-induced obesity in Urmia
1. Ranked 1th and being top student in all high school classes.
2. Ranked 2th in the Nationwide Preclinical Veterinary Basic
Science Examination of Iran. Veterinary Faculties among 300
3. Ranked 1th in Residency of Veterinary Physiology in all terms,
4. Ranked 1th in the Nationwide Board Physiology Examination of
Iran Universities among all participants, Tehran 2007.
5. Ranked 1th in the score of thesis in Urmia University, 2008
(19.92 out of 20).