This semester we will discuss
Many of the physical and spiritual
disciplines we need to be the man that
God wants us to be.
LAST SEMESTER, A MAN AND HIS
This semester I want you to consider
our study of the disciplines of a
Godly Man to be your bullet proof
LAST SEMESTER WE COMPARED OUR
DUTIES TO A DUTY BELT THAT A POLICE
OFFICER WEARS. IT GIRDED AROUND
HIM THE EQUIPMENT
HE NEEDS TO BE SAFE AND DO HIS JOB.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF A BULLET PROOF VEST?
HOW DO THEY WORK?
• What does it mean to you?
• Is the connotation positive or negative and why?
• Who are some of the most disciplined persons you can think of?
• Athletes? Entreprenures? Inventors? Politicians?
THE WORD DISCIPLINE
R KENT HUGHES, AUTHOR, DISCIPLINES OF A
My intention, if we are in agreement is to discuss, understand,
and model these disciplines and live them in our everyday lives.
This will take longer than 1 semester, I expect 3 semesters
This is YOUR time to discuss, learn and recommend. As the
facilitator, I will be flexible to whatever you wish.
HUGHES NOTATES 18 DISCIPLINES IN
1. Discipline of Purity
2. Discipline of Marriage
3. Discipline of Fatherhood
4. Discipline of Friendship
5. Discipline of Mind
6. Discipline of Devotion
LISTEN TO THE WORDS AND HEART OF DARIN
DURAND OF THE NAVIGATORS DISCUSS SEXUAL SIN
Train yourself in godliness, 8 for, while physical training is
of some value, godliness is valuable in every way,
holding promise for both the present life and the life to
“Train” translated from Greek work gumnos
Paul is calling for a workout, a good sweat, with no
barriers to godliness!
KEY VERSE FOR TODAY COMES FROM
PAUL ON DISCIPLINE: I TIMOTHY 4:7
Therefore since we surrounded by such a cloud of witnesses let
us throw off everything that hinders us and the sin that so easily
entangles and let us run with perseverance the race marked out
ALSO, FROM THE WRITER OF
HEBREWS, HEBREWS 12:1
Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training .
. .Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not
fight like a man beating the air. No I beat my body and make it
LASTLY, AGAIN FROM PAUL
I CORINTHIANS 9:25-27
• Where we are today: The Reality
1. Five main areas where Men spend their money are:
electronics, sports, cars, gambling, and alcohol
2. Forbes article from 2013 entitled “14 things successful
people do on the weekends, never mentions God”
3. Most Men do not feel challenged in their local church
4. Men don’t usually read books that will help them grow.
5. Porn Stats, in short, we are losing the battle for the hearts
and minds of the generation with regards to porn.
6. The disciplined, Christian life is the exception rather than the
rule. Why do you think that is?
DISCIPLINE OF PURITY
1. 23% of church attenders have had an affair, and 45% have
done something they deem sexually inappropriate.
2. For pastors the percentages are 12% and 23% respectively.
As a result, the church has lost its grip on holiness, does
not discipline its members, is rejected by our children,
and is deemed irrelevant by many.
THE CHURCH IS NOT IMMUNE!
II Samuel 11
David was at the top of his game. Kingdom was established.
He was a man after God’s own heart.
He compromised by taking additional wives. Desensitized
He decided to stay back from the battle one spring. Relaxed
He notices a beautiful young woman on the rooftop, bathing.,
A LOOK AT KING DAVID
David makes his decision, “Don’t judge the king” rationalization
David falls into the sin of adultery, degeneration
David falls further, lies, murder of Uriah, the husband
David pays the price.
How did this happen? He was a man after God’s own heart?
How can we prevent it from happening to us?
A LOOK AT KING DAVID, CONTINUED
Holy is not be without sin, (nobody is) but to be forgiven and
working to do the right thing all the time.
Holy is to be “set apart” for use by God.
Pure is to be freed from the sin in your heart that entangles
I Thessalonians 4:3-8. Paraphrased “Be holy, avoid sexual
immorality, control your own body honorably, don’t lust, to
do otherwise is to reject God”
GOD’S DESIRE FOR YOUR LIFE IS TO BE
HOLY AND PURE!
1. Accountability, find another man who you can be honest
2. Prayer, Pray for your own purity, daily!
3. Memorization, that’s how Jesus did it. He gave scripture
back to the enemy when tempted.
4. Mind, don’t sit and absorb perversion and sensuality in
5. Hedges, build them to keep you from falling.
6. Awareness, realize your falling is highly offensive to God
HOW DO WE DO THIS?
Sept 26th, 8-9:30
Bring a friend, especially one that is unchurched
Get a copy of the book from Amazon if you want one
Now go into the battle, armed and encouraged!