By: Marie Lorabelle F.
• is often one of the most neglected areas in
the operation of hotels, resorts and
• a word "housekeeping" refers to the
upkeep and maintenance of cleanliness
and order in a house or a lodging
establishment such as inn, hotel, apartel,
condominium, resort, dormitory or a
Types of housekeeping
• 1. Domestic Housekeeping - refers to
housekeeping maintenance in a house .
• It covers bedrooms, kitchen, dining,
receiving area, grounds and the
surrounding areas within the house.
• applies to housekeeping maintenance
commercial lodging establishments like hotels,
resorts, inns and apartels.
> Guest rooms
> Hallways and corridors
> Public areas and restaurant
>Grounds and Plants
> Linen and laundry area
> Pest control
SCOPE OF HOUSEKEEPING MAINTENANCE
MAINTENANCE OF PUBLIC AREAS TO INCLUDE :
3. Function rooms( conference room, social hall, etc.)
5. Grounds and garden landscape
6. Reception area
8. Other areas accessible to public
Hallways in guestroom areas
LINEN & LAUNDRY
Uniform of staff
Linen used for food / beverage operations
4. Installation, Cleaning and Maintenance of
Fixtures and facilities like furniture and
5. PEST CONTROL
Standard of Good Housekeeping
4. Guests and Clients' Comfort
5. Eye Appeal
7. Materials Control and Preventive
• 8. Guest Relations
ROLES of PUBLIC MAINTENANCE
A. HEAD HOUSEMAN OR PUBLIC AREA
SUPERVISOR- direct and control all
activities concerning public area
B. HOUSEMAN- to attend to the upkeep
and maintenance of cleanliness and
orderliness in public areas assigned to
C. POWDER GIRL- responsible for the
cleaning , care and maintenance of ladies
comfort and locker rooms.
D. Gardener and Grounds
- Responsible for maintaining the grounds
including plants and landscape.
E. PEST CONTROL TECHNICIAN - to
attend the prevention and control of pests
through preventive and corrective
CLEANING EQUIPMENT & SUPPLIES
• A. FLOOR CLEANING EQUIPMENT
VACUUM CLEANER-use to eliminate loose
soil from csrpet.
FLOOR POLISHER- use in scrubbing ,
stripping and polishing hard floor surfaces.
CARPET SWEEPER- used to pick up a dirt
and particles from the carpet.
HYDRO VACUUM CLEANER- used for dry
• CARPET EXTRACTOR -used when the
carpet is heavily soiled.
• CARPET DRYER-used for drying carpet
• FLOOR CLEANING TOOLS:
FLOOR /WINDOW SQUEEGEE
• SOFT BROOM AND STICK BROOM-Soft broom is for
fine and flat surfaces like vinly and wood. Stick broom is
ideal for rough surface like grounds.
• DUST MOP-To be used to dust mop the floor during
follow up cleaning.
• CAUTION SIGN-Warning sign to alert people that the
floor is wet and slippery and they should not step on it. It
is a tool for the prevention of slips and injuries.
C.Other Cleaning Tools and Materials
• ROOMBOY'S CART-Carrier of amenities and cleaning
supplies during room make up.
• CADDY BOX-Container for cleaning chemicals and
• SCOURING PADS-Green:for scubbing purposes only;
White:For cleaning painted surfaces, glass mirrors, and
-Should not be used for painted surfaces, mirrors and glass
panels, nor with scouring powder.
-Always make sure the pads are wet before using them.
-Wash and rinse after each use. Also rinse at the end of
each day to insure that there to insure that there is no
soap left on the pads.
• DUSTING CLOTHS-This is used for
dusting wooden furniture.
-Make sure the cloths are clean ; otherwise
the dusty cloth will merely rub the dust
unto the surface being dusted.
• CLEANING TOWELS-It is used for drying
bathroom walls and floor tiles after they
-Make sure the cloths are dry.
-If the walls and tiles are not wiped dry,
water marks will develop.
• POLISHING CLOTHS-This cloth is used for
polishing metal surfaces like bathroom fixtures.
-Use cloths that are made of fiber to be able to
absorb the water left behind during the cleaning
HAND BRUSHES-This brush is meant for brushing
away dusts from rough surfaces such as rattan,
-Make sure that the brush is not left immersed on
the cleaning water for a long time.
• DUSTING-For dusting furniture ad fixtures.
-Use dusters for dusting furniture and fixtures.
• TOILET BOWL BRUSH-It is used for cleaning
-Toilet brush should be kept after use in the
storeroom either in a holder or in a plastic bag
hanging on one end of the trolley. Never leave
the brush with other cleaning equipment else
where as they contain a lot of dirt and bacteria
that can contaminate other cleaning materials.
CEILING BROOMS-Use this broom to
remove cobwebs in the ceiling.