1. Connect the temperature sensor to the first socket
on the data logger.
2. Weigh the food sample and record it. Add 30 cm3
water to the boiling tube.
3. Start the sensing software and see that it recognizes
the sensors we attach.
4. Set up the software to record. Heat the food in a
Bunsen flame to light it.
5. Heat the tube of water with the burning food until it
has completely burnt. Re-light the food if necessary.
6. Weight the burnt food with the same electronic
• Energy released from almond per
= 2940.9 J
= 2.941 KJ
• Energy released from cashew nut per gram(J)
= 4957.3 J
= 4.957 KJ
• Energy released from peanut per gram(J)
= 6507.2 J
= 6.507 KJ
• What do you observe from the graph
about the water temperature?
• Do all the nuts have same level of
• Does the increase of temperature
among the three types of nuts is the
• From the graph, which type of nut
produces the highest energy?
• Arrange the food sample according to
its energy in ascending order.
• Is your result accurate? Does all the
energy from the nuts is used to heat
the water or some heat is lost? How
could this affect your results?
• Do you eat to live OR live to eat???
eat to live live to eat
• Many will say they eat to live because it is
necessary to sustain life and as a respond
to hunger. They eat in order to obtain the
strength to carry on life's daily activities.
• However, there are also people who live to
eat. They love to eat and they crave food
of any and every kind. Live to eat is a
habit of enjoying eating. This kind of
people can easily suffer from obesity.
• My advise is we should eat to live, don’t
live to eat.
Unique Features of This Activity
• the temperature can be recorded every second
• the temperature can be recorded in three
• the setup of the apparatus is quite simple and
we only need a test tube and a temperature
sensor to test the energy of the nuts
• the experiment gives only a very approximate
estimate for each foodstuff, so the students can
use any type of food to replace the nuts and
calculate the food energy.
• students can compare the graphs and
differentiate the energy between the three types