Traits Common to Safe Drinkers
By Margie Roop, LPCC-S; CEAP; SAP, LifeServices EAP
Whatever the reasons, safe drinkers have certain traits in
common, just as “problem drinkers” do. Young or old, rich or
poor, male or female, a safe drinker, however, is one who:
1. Understands the risks of alcohol use.
2. Thinks of alcohol as a social activity with friends or as an accompaniment
to a meal.
3. Avoids making a habit of any kind of drinking, whether it’s at the end of the
day or at a sports event or at a party.
4. Chooses as friends other people who drink safely.
5. Sometimes chooses not to drink- e.g., chooses water instead of wine at a
meal, or doesn’t drink while on a diet.
6. Never drinks and drives.
7. Never drinks when there’s responsible work to be done.
8. Knows exactly how much he/she can drink without losing control.
9. Enjoys socializing for its own sake, with or without alcohol.
10. Knows that drinking is a personal choice, not the result of some
external force, reason, or cause.
Your company should have LifeServices’ Employee Assistance Program as
its 24/7 resource for your employees! A safe work environment is an