Looking back at your preliminary task, what do
you feel you have learnt in the progression from
it to the full product?
When editing our preliminary task we didn’t take as much
time which resulted in actually hearing the director at
the beginning of one shot. However for our final piece
we took extra care by constantly watching it back. We
also used more complex editing techniques (with the help
of online tutorials) than we did in our preliminary,
mainly because of time constraints.
When shooting our preliminary we did not know much about
the camera (the Cannon D600). This is clearly shown as a
few shots are out of focus. However for our final piece
we researched the cameras and lenses available so we
could use the most suitable one for our opening. There
was also a few shaky shots in our preliminary task.
However we overcome this in our opening by using a
sturdy tripod for all our shots whereas in our
preliminary for a few shots we didn't use one.
In our preliminary task not only is there the sound of
the director but there is also a lot of background
noise. When making our preliminary we didn’t really
consider trying to erase this background noises or even
add non diegetic sound. There is also a few points where
the dialogue is quieter because of the position of the
camera. However in our final piece we spent a long time
carefully selecting the music for our final piece. We
also took time to decide what sounds to keep in and what
to take out. We also had to decide what sounds we wanted
to replace with other sound effects.
In our preliminary task we didn't even consider
lighting. We used the normal light in the room without
setting up any artificial light. However in our opening,
lighting featured heavily. Therefore we spent a lot of
time setting it up and even before we started shooting
we did some test shot to make sure we could create the
right lighting we wanted.