This is the latest version of my manifesto - presented first in Montreal at Webcom-Montreal '09 - May 13th, 2009.
This version includes the Digital City project, the virtuous circle and a day in the life of a Digital city.
2. Open is the new Black
• Exposing social graphs, activity streams and
conversations via Open APIs
• Open platforms on which to build on
• Cloud computing commodization
• Widget channels
• Users control their own data
• Single sign-on, with privacy controls
3. Open is the buzzword du jour
• Facebook is leading the charge
• Forcing Google to play one upmanship
• MySpace and Yahoo align with Google (and others!)
• Then Microsoft opens up Windows Live
• While Plaxo and SixApart lead the way….
• Twitter says it’s open, but folks are wondering
• FriendFeed is the new belle at the ball
• Did I tell you about my friend Evan?
4. You know you’re in trouble when…
• You can’t decide whether you should answer your
email via iPhone, RIM or Gmail
• Where you should update your status first?
• You can’t remember if you uploaded your photos to
Flickr or Facebook, and where that video went?
• Which username/password to use on Dig?
• Which blog to post from?
The poor life of the early adopter!
5. The Chaos that is……
• BigCo platforms
• The user’s desire to control their data
• The next big thing
• Staying alive, sucking up to the boss
• Real-time conversations
• Media sharing
• Persistent content
• Cloudy weather ahead……
7. Open Mesh is…..
• What happens when we connect the BigCo
• With our Open Stack
The people united are the open mesh
15. 4. The Live Web
• Real-time conversations
• Webcams, Webcasts
• VideoConf, VideoMail
• Video Phonecalls
16. 5. New kinds of Tools
• Community built-in
• SaaS, Scalable, Help
• Outliner based:
– Edit all kinds of data
– Normalize accounts
– Create new dynamic
• General purpose
• Pers. Knowledge Base
• Multiple biz models
• Display all data types
24. What’s happening right now?
• Activity Streams
• OpenID UX improvements
• Show the value of being open – to vendors
25. What’s next?
• Two-way APIs
• Laconica acts as DNS-like backbone
• Underlying ID layers
• Growth in
• All brands must
26. Two-way APIs
• Pull data out just as easily as Push data in
• Level playing field – two-way street
27. Digital City project
• Technology, System Integration and Content
• Focused on Tech Jobs and Local foods efforts
• Dashboard environment with built-in:
– Live Video Help
– Points system
– Tied to local events, content projects, job training
– Family Activities
– Virtuous Circle
• Produce Live Events and Content projects
• Pilot program = Cuyahoga county (Cleveland)
• Learn by doing
52. Principles of the Open Mesh
• Social features in ALL software
• Two-way APIs; tagged and scalable
• Distributed and widgetized
• International in scope
• Privacy, security, access controls
• Relevant and inclusive for all – affinities, ages,
cultures, race, gender, locale, demographic