Learning How To Learn
A guide for the novice and the professional
Most of us are constantly worried when starting to
learn a new thing be it a chapter of mathematics
we are not familiar with or learning how to
drive.We always try to focus on learning the new
task but never quite focus on the process but are
more interested in the product or the end
result.This presentation would help you to
understand the basic process of learning.
Focused Vs Diffused Mode Of
* Concentrating on the
task at hand.
*Giving it continued and
undivided attention for a
specified amount of
*Taking a break or
doing a routine task .
* Doing so let's the
brain strengthen the
neural pathways of
what you just learnt.
* It is the habit of leaving work for
* It is mainly due to illusions of
competence that we can do the task at the
* Our habits force our brain to cause a
sensation of pain or unpleasantness at the
sight of work.
* It is the cue on which we have to act to
*A controlled procrastination is useful as it
helps in spaced repetition which allows
the brain to strengthen neural pathways to
fetch the required information.
* This technique involves the use of a twenty
five minute timer for focused study.
* After the time is up take some rest or reward
* The small sessions of intense learning and
the reward thereafter help those who have a
habit of procrastinating.
* It refers to the condition when we are stuck on
a problem because our current path is
preventing us from from thinking from a
different point of view.
* In these cases it is better to take a step back
and look at the big picture and think afresh.
Process Vs Product
* When we think about the end
result(product) like finishing a homework
there is a greater chance of procrastinating
as our mind reasons that it could be
* We must therefore focus on the process
ie. Studying which gives our mind zombies
a task to focus on.
Learning how to learn is as important as
learning itself. By taking advantage of the
current research on neuroscience we can learn
more efficiently while having a basic
understanding of how our brain works.