Roll No – 9
• One of the world's largest and most recognized
designers and distributors in the luggage industry.
• Completed 100 years of Success in 2010.
• Samsonite South Asia Pvt. Ltd. / Samsonite India
• Launched in India 1996 by Dr. Ramesh Tainwala who is
currently associated as President – South Asia Group
• Started in 1910 as Shwayder Trunk
Manufacturing Company in Denver,
• Initial cases Samson, after
the Biblical strongman, and began
using the trademark Samsonite in 1941
• In 1966 it was changed to “Samsonite”.
• 23,000 outlets in more than 100
• Wholesale, franchises and retail
• 3 Manufacturing unit – Nashik, Italy and
• Registered office is in Luxembourg and
it is listed on the Hong Kong Stock
• American Tourister
• Lacoste (bags and small leather goods)
• Timberland (bags only)
• Hartmann Luggage
• Hard and Soft Luggage
• Business Case
• Laptop and Small Bags
• Gifts & Accessories
To provide an answer to the consumer's needs for private and business
travel by building a product that meets the challenges of today's
extremely mobile environment.
“The act of making a journey is often more meaningful than
the reality of reaching one's destination”
Sales, Profit and Cash flow
World’s most highly regarded premium lifestyle travel
define, develop, clarify and promote
• 1973 Samsonite was purchased by corporate giant Beatrice
Foods Co. for the expansion supports financially
• Beatrice sold Samsonite in 1986 to King Kholberg, Kravis &
• Then, 15 months later, Kholberg spun off Samsonite and eight
other companies into a new company called E-II.
• Six months later, E-II was bought out by American Brands,
which subsequently was purchased by billionaire Riklis Family
• As Samsonite continued to post gains in the recession of the
late 1980s and early 1990s, its parent company, E-II, floundered
and eventually filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
• E-II, Samsonite emerged as a subsidiary of a new
company called Astrum International Corp.
• In 1993 Astrum purchased the American Tourister
luggage company to complement Samsonite.
• Samsonite regained its independence for the first
time since 1973 when Astrum announced early in
1995 that it was going to split into two companies,
one of which would be the new publicly held,
independent, Denver-based Samsonite Corporation
• Signed $35 Million Joint Venture In India – Nov 1995
– Dr. Ramesh Tainwala
• C.G. Petrochemical Co. Ltd. To Enter China Market –
• Samsonite Group And Rustan Group Sign An
Agreement To Establish A Joint Venture In The
Philippines – Aug 2008
It sold their engineered plastics division for an undisclosed sum to Aegis
Strategic Investment Corp.
Samsonite Corp., to sell its stake in the luxury accessories brand
The Royal Bank of Scotland Group plc and CVC Capital Partners – a
private equity company announced the divestiture of their
joint stake of $528 million
Milestones…..Journey So Far
• From the first ever coordinated luggage, the first ever use of
metal in luggage;
• The first practical business case – Classic Attache,
• The first ever polypropylene suitcase commonly called hard
• Three-digit locking systems;
• 2-wheeled uprights for easier maneuverability;
4-wheel spinners ,
• To its latest innovation cosmolite; the lightest and
sturdiest Samsonite ever.