Be the first to like this
Why optimal flowering periods?
• Autumn rainfall decline (Cai et al. 2012)
• At least partly attributable to anthropogenic climate change (Cai et al. 2013) and results in the systems which bring the ‘autumn break’ to SE Australia being less frequent (Pook et al. 2006, 2009)
• Sowing dates required for current cultivars to achieve optimal flowering periods coincide with marked rainfall decline which has regionally reduced yield
• In addition, > farm size and > extreme spring weather
• Farmers need new cultivar x management strategies to stabilise flowering time