What is electricity?
• Electricity is an electric current used as a
source of power.
Conductors and Insulators
• Conductors are material through which
electrons can move more freely.
• Insulators are material that electrons cannot
• A resistor is a material that resist, but does not
stop the flow of current.
The flow of electricity
• Electricity will not flow with out a power
supply and a closed circuit to travel around.
• Current is the flow of electricity and it flows
around a circuit in one direction.
What happens if you change a circuit?
• If you change a circuit by adding light bulbs it
will glow less because the two bulbs will
share the electricity of the battery.
• If you add one more battery to the circuit the
light bulbs will be brighter because there will
be more electric power.
• BUT, if you add too many bulbs to a circuit, it
will burn out.
• Series Circuit is a circuit in which resistors are
arranged in a chain.
• Series circuit has only one path to take.
• Parallel circuit is contains two or more paths
for negative charges to travel.
• In parallel circuit each light bulb has its own
pathway to the source of electricity.
• The energy will drain faster when it supplies
energy to two light bulbs.
Where are parallel circuit used?
• Parallel circuits are used in building and
– In buildings and homes there are many rooms
who need to have their own path for electricity
to run while other paths are turned off. This way
light can be provided in some rooms.