Not permanent Not managed by you Not paid for unless *doing* something for you
“Hey, I wanna serve a web page” 1990s - build a data centre 2000s - Hosting 2006 - AWS 2013 - Docker 2014 - AWS Lambda
Serverless Python Web Services Django or Flask on Lambda
Scheduled tasks running as AWS lambda functions
VPC wrangling for RDS + API Gateway - you need two VPCs with Internet gateways. This is not well documented!
DJUGL - Django and AWS Lambda
Django and AWS
Very occasionally: https://attentionshard.wordpress.com
• Working with Django since 2009 (Django 1.1)
• CTO of Tellybug where we made apps for TV
shows and a very scalable platform using Django
• Recently started building a new project using
• Consulting CTO working with startups
“AWS Lambda is a compute service that
lets you run code without provisioning or
*Not to scale
from flask import Flask
from zappa.async import task
app = Flask(__name__)
""" This takes a long time! """
ingredients = get_ingredients()
pie = bake(ingredients)
""" This returns immediately! """
return "Your pie is being made!"
• Database - can use RDS, Dynamo, Redshift etc
• GeoDjango & binary libraries - issues if they get
• Python 3 - now supported
• Static files - use Whitenoise