Juvenile Delinquent or Prodigal??
• The changing nature of technologies
• The changing nature of social interaction through technology
• The changing nature (??) of educational technology
• The changing nature (?????) of 21st Century teaching
M a h a r a
With apologies to A A Milne
Sue Suckling – NZQA Chair
(video from SingularityU NZ, 16/11/2016)
• Power to the individual
• 21st century skills
• Learner centric
• From regulation to free and open
• Quality assurance and verification
NMC Horizon Report 2017
• As more institutions adopt mastery- and competency-based education (CBE)
approaches, learning ecosystems must support the process of skill acquisition and
assessment. To carry out their competency-driven mission, Grand Canyon
University uses LoudCloud, a tool that leverages a host of open educational
resources and learning analytics to personalize learning experiences.
• Western Governors University, a widely acknowledged leader in delivering CBE
online, does not have an LMS; instead, they have designed learning portals
specifically for each course where students engage in projects and discussions,
access free e-textbooks, and build portfolios.
1. Provide authentic contexts
2. Provide authentic activities
3. Access to expert performances
4. Provide multiple roles and perspectives
5. Support collaborative construction of knowledge
6. Promote reflection
7. Promote articulation
8. Provide coaching and scaffolding
9. Provide authentic assessment of learning within tasks
Herrington, J., & Oliver, R. (2000). An instructional design framework for authentic learning environments.
Educational Technology Research and Development, 48(3), 23-48.