Popular Subcultures and influences by "Riwii MahQ"
M a h a k K h a n n a
C o n t e n t
1. s t r e e t F a s h i o n a n d
S u b c u l t u r e
2. E v o l u t i o n o f S t r e e t F a s h i o n
i n I n d i a
3. I n f l u e n c e a n d d e s i g n
d i r e c t i o n i n me t r o c i t y –
D e l h i
?? What is Street Fashion??
• Street fashion is fashion that is considered to have emerged not from studios, but
from the grassroots. Street fashion is generally associated with youth culture, and is
most often seen in major urban centers. Street fashion is not specific to one type of
dressing, but instead covers a host of different styles, all unique.
• It is this style that has begun to influence the creators of high fashion. The tight-fitted
jeans once favored only by those wearing the street fashion known as punk now are
a common element in high fashion designer wear.
??What is Sub Culture??
A subculture is a cultural subgroup. They are
considered 'opposite from the mainstream
culture because of their unique trends.
Subcultures are judged by what they look
like, what they wear, where they live,etc.
Subcultures have distinctive styles of
dress, activity and music. They form when the
main stream culture fails to meet the needs of
a particular group of people.
K i n d l y v i e w t h e s l i d e s i n s l i d e s h o w
Teddy Boy style
MOST POPULAR SUBCULTURES
• Hippies (denim, T-shirts, long hair, flower power and
psychedelic imagery, flared trousers)
• Punk fashion (ripped clothing, safety
pins, bondage, provocative T-shirt slogans, Mohican
• Skinheads (short-cropped hair, fitted jeans, Ben
Sherman button-up shirts, Fred Perry polo
shirts, Harrington jackets, Dr. Martens boots)
• Gothic fashion (black clothing, heavy coats, poet
shirts, big boots, makeup).
• Hip hop fashion (501 Levis, ECKO, South
Pole, Avirex, Sean Jean, NIKE)
• The Punk subculture was not only about the fashion style and music, but also a
• Modern art was very inspirational to them. Their art is a depiction of many things, such
as political issues and was used mainly for album covers and flyers.
• They shocked everyone in the streets with their mo-hawk, the boots, the ripped
trousers and that attitude.
• They wore this style simply to shock and enrage the general public.
• Before punk came about all of the young people used to dress vary smartly and as
can only be expected.
• Punk rebellion. Also, before punk became so popular ,Punk music had rhythm and
melody, but it did not have harmony.
Punk emergence in India
• Gypsy punk is a hybrid musical genre that crosses
traditional Romani music with punk rock.
• Romani people, who are spread out throughout the world
• Since their migrations from their original homeland in India
• One pUnk NatioN is also India's first Punk Only Podcast and
also India's First Punk Only Record Label.
K i n d l y v i e w t h e s l i d e s i n s l i d e s h o w
Punk look in WIFW
WIFW runway 2013 summer lookbook
•Hair In Three sections
•Wispy Strands Fly
Amir khan punk look
influenced fashion and effected people in metros to follow the same style
Spiky Hair And Bulging Biceps Chains and mohawk look
• Low waist jeans
•Narrow fit jeans
Sharukh khan in Ra. One (Mumbai)
• Appearance of bollywood stars is a major factor to influence
fashion in metros.
Honey Singh Fashion Icon
• Honey Singh (also
known as Yo Yo
Honey Singh is
a Punjabi rapper, mus
icproducer, singer an
d film actor is now
Influencing fashion to
• Places near Punjab
and delhi are the
areas where effect is
• His typical hairstyle
resembling punk look
has once again re
emerged the punk
fashion into common
Amir Khan Gajini look resembles PUNK
"The buzzed hair style with shaved scalp and head, scar lines on his head.
Bollywood has given memorable styles to masses.
PUNK evolution in metros
Wills India Lifestyle Fashion Week
Priyanka chopra on red
Taare zameen par
• Darshil safari influence kids fashion to great extent in metros as well in
other areas of india
Punk : movie Mr. ya miss
Fashion is yet another area which has always been influenced by Hindi films. Right from
bell-bottoms worn in the cinema of the 70's to the latest low-waist jeans of today, youngsters
are completely aware of the latest trends in fashion thanks to cinema.
Virat Kohli Spiked Punk Look
Punk look which were off everyday wear for the normal population, did cause a stir
and led to fashion influences as the market was starved of such looks
PUNK ROCK INDIA
• Disenfranchised In India India's first
punk rock compilation's Gangtok
launch covered in a local
newspaper. Good going Zo Hass &
everyone who was a part of making
it happen. Punk rock forever!
Bands inspired by punk style
• Punk gig tonight in Delhi to launch India's first punk
rock compilation. Go to Cafe Morrison, South Ex -
II, New Delhi to catch punk rockers BULL ENGINE &
Arun S Ravi of The Riot
Peddlers @Independence Rock band
The Riot Peddlers, Mumbai's hardcore punk trio, opens this
years Independence Rock in Mumbai this Saturday, 25th
Nov. Powerful punk in your face.
first all girls
punk rock band
in the country.
Image courtesy: RAVE magazine
Emo is original appeared in the mid-1980s by the
hardcore punk movement of Washington and also
known as "emotional hardcore", characterized by
melodic musicianship and expressive, often
• emo boys are guys the choose to not follow the ideas
of the maintstream society. emo boys dress in tight
pants and shirts. they also wear eyeliner and have
shaggy hair that hangs in there face. although some
people have the misconception that emo boys only
makeout with each other.
Rich Kumari NIFT (emo style)
The goal then was to incorporate more feeling into this aggressive form of music. That
led to the phrase emocore, short for emotional hardcore. The music style became a
fashion and found a home with teens ready to share their pain with the world.
Katrina Kaif : Movie Newyork (2009)
Visual key look is
even more bold.
There are no strict
rules when it comes
to clothes and
streaks of colour in
the hair and face
are often derived
from characters in
manga comics. the
look is a re-import
of a look from
Metro City Residents with Emo
• Emo emerged from the "emotional hardcore Punk" or "emocore" Emo
broke into mainstream culture in the early 2000s followed by the
emergence of the subgenre “scream”
• Youth culture experts say the Emo scene is the fastest growing trend
out there. But because of its dramatic aspects, its adherents are
sometimes subject to bullying, especially since Emo randomly picks
up elements from Goth and punk culture.
(Dance India Dance)
• Hair style
• Wear layers
• Wear emo band tees
• Wear dark coloured, black, or
colorful/printed skinny jeans
• Wear emo shoes.
• Wear makeup.
Teddy Boy style
• Emerged from grease subculture and started in London in the 1950's
• Extremely high-waist trousers and tight t-shirts
• BOYS : Young men wearing drainpipe, high-waist trousers, drape jackets and
greased-up hair combed back with a quaff in front.
• GIRLS : The girls wore bows on their head and hobble skirts. and was adopted mostly
by well-off, young people and it was acceptable for men to be concerned about their
Goth in metro city (India)
• Gothic fashion includes a
with colored black
hair, black lips and black
clothes. Both male and
female Goths wear
dark eyeliner and dark
fingernails. Styles are often
the Punks, Victorians and E
• The allure for goths of dark, mysterious, and morbid imagery and
mood lies in the same tradition of Romanticism's gothic novel. During
the late 18th and 19th century, feelings of horror, and supernatural
dread were widespread motifs in popular literature; The process
continues in the modern horror film. Another central element of the
gothic is a deliberate sense of camp theatricality and self-
dramatization; present both in gothic literature as well as in the gothic