Getting Started with Twitter
Step 1: Create an Account
1. Go to http://twitter.com
2. Click on “Sign-up now”, complete the form & click “Create my Account”
3. Important – Skip the next two steps of the set up and DON’T click Finish!
4. Write your twitter username on the attached Post-it!
Step 2: Start posting updates
1. On Home type what you are doing / thinking etc & click Update.
Twitter Update box
2. Keep posting regularly throughout this workshop!
Step 3: Update your profile
1. Click on Settings & update your bio, location & time zone. Add your website &
a picture if you have them.
2. View the results on your Profile page (http://twitter.com/yourusername)
Step 4: Follow, Follow, Follow - Find some people to follow
1. Type a Profile URL: http://twitter.com/username Some Examples:
a. Others in the room!
b. LSE – lsepublicevents, lsecareers, lseclt
Also see: http://tweepml.org/LSE-Tweeters/
c. Social Science – IntutePsychUK, Intuteeconomics, Policynetwork
d. Some famous names – DowningStreet BarackObama stephenfry bbcnews
2. Use Find People (at the top of your Twitter homepage) This relies on people
using real names.
3. Use Search to find updates on topics that interest you and maybe a person
that’s worth following
When you find someone interesting, click “Follow” and their updates
will start to appear on your homepage.
Step 5: Post some more updates…
1. Replies - Use the reply icon to send an @username reply to one of your friends
@ reply button
2. Mentions - Use @username within an update to reference someone
A ‘mention’ (@username)
Note: Mentions will appear on the homepages of all your followers. Replies only
appear on the homepages of the person you are replying to and any shared followers.
3. Retweet – use the retweet feature to forward an interesting tweet & share it
with your network
4. Add an update that includes a link to a website
Twitter Tip: Use a link
shortener to save characters
e.g. http://bit.ly/ or
Step 6: If time…
1. Change your homepage design (Settings > Design)
2. Set up your Mobile and text to Twitter (Settings > Mobile)
3. Send a Direct Message (private) to one of your friends