Affdex is an award-winning neuromarketing tool that reads emotional states such as liking and attention from facial expressions using an ordinary webcam...to give marketers faster, more accurate insight into consumer response to brands, advertising and media.
The QRS complex is a name for the combination of three of the graphical deflections seen on a typical electrocardiogram (ECG). It is usually the central and most visually obvious part of the tracing. It corresponds to the depolarization of the right and left ventricles of the human heart.
EMOTION RECOGNITION USING SMARTPHONES
• To propose the development of android applications
that can be used for sensing the emotions of people
for their better health.
• To provide better services and also better Human-machine
• Emotions control your thinking, behavior and
• Emotions affect your physical bodies as much as
your body affects your feelings and thinking.
• People who ignore, dismiss or repress their
emotions, are setting themselves up for physical
• Detection of emotional info can be done with
passive sensors which capture data about the user's
physical state or behavior without interpreting the
• A video camera might capture facial expressions,
body posture and gestures.
• A microphone can capture speech.
• A pressure sensor/accelerometer can capture heart
• Other sensors detect emotional cues from skin
• Extraction of information for meaningful patterns
from the gathered data
• Speech recognition, natural language processing,
or facial expression detection
• These techniques should either produce labels or
efficient inference algorithms to extract high-level
information from the data.
• Requires the creation of a reliable database
or knowledge base as well as the selection of a
successful classifier which will allow for quick and
accurate emotion identification.
• Currently, the most frequently used classifiers are
linear discriminant classifiers (LDC), k-nearest
neighbour (k-NN), Gaussian mixture model (GMM),
support vector machines (SVM), artificial neural
networks (ANN), decision tree algorithms and
hidden Markov models (HMMs).
• Defining expressions in terms of muscle actions A
system has been conceived in order to formally
categorize the physical expression of emotions.
• By studying the contraction or a relaxation of one or
• The concept of the Facial Action Coding System, or
FACS created by Paul Ekman and Wallace V.
Friesen in 1978
• Eg. Affdex
• By identifying different
facial cues, scientists are
able to map them to their
corresponding Action Unit
• They have proposed the
following classification of
the six basic emotions,
according to their Action
Emotion Action Units
• One of the most commonly used techniques is by
using pressure sensors/accelerometer.
• The heart rate can also be collected using the Optical
pulse sensor Eg. Samsung galaxy S5.
• Heart Rate Variability (HRV) signals is derived from
ECG signals through QRS detection algorithm.
• It is used as a statistical feature to distinguish the
emotional stress, through a nonlinear classifier (K
Nearest Neighbor (KNN))into three different classes
namely, negative emotions, positive emotions
(surprise and happy) and neutral.
• To understand the emotions with the help of
smartphones will help in achieving greater success
in the lives of people.
• Using smartphones to do this will make it much
more easier for researchers and scientists.
• http://www.mkprojects.com/fa_emotions.html by By Mary
• Emotion Recognition from Speech by Ankur Sapra, Nikhil
Panwar, Sohan Panwar -Jaypee Institute of Information
• Mobile Sensor Data Collector using Android Smartphone by
Won-Jae Yi, Weidi Jia, and Jafar Saniie - Department of
Electrical and Computer Engineering, Illinois Institute of
• EmotionSense: A Mobile Phones based Adaptive Platform for
Experimental Social Psychology Research